1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bats

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a couple fo rental units in a nearby city [beautiful Bay City MI]. I had a good renter call me yesterday and she said that they have a couple of bats in the house. Any good ways to repel or remove them without killing them? I know that you have to plug the holes and maybe put mothballs in the attic, was just wondering if anyone has anything else to add. Thanks Bill

2. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

I had a bat problem and hired a professional. He told me moth balls do no good at all. He also said that legally, you could not kill them. The only way to get rid of them is through exclusion. He spent several evenings sitting outside at nightfall watching them to see where they were coming in. He sealed off all the entry points except one and then he put what he called a "one way valve" over the one access point that was left. The one way valve was like a net so that they could get out but not get back in. He gave it three or four days to make sure they were all gone and then sealed the final hole. Been three years ago and no more bats. If you have neighbors that you like, you may want to tell them as when you start excluding them, they will likely try to invade nearby structures like your neighbors homes. Good luck.

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

They eat more insects than anything else!!

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Build "Bat houses" and they will stay outside.

Plans are on the web. Very simple to make!!

If you have flying bugs around, and no bats, the ole saying "build it and they will come" holds so true!!

5. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Not really humane but here is an idea. Bats use sonar to see, go after them with a tennis racket. They can't see it coming.

6. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Our Catholic Church had quite a large colony of bats in the bell tower. Our priest Baptized and Communioned them and now they only come back at Christmas and Easter!!!

7. oz

oz Active Member

don't kill the bats.....they eat thousands of mosquitoes every night.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What timberfaller & all above said, don't kill them just give them an attractive place to call home, place it high up in the gable end of your house, a "bathouse" then close up their old entry places they will move to their newly provided home and eat LOTSA bugs and mosquitoes. Ross Puls

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My usual answer is shoot pests with CCI CB Longs. This time I'm with the masses. Don't kill or harm them. They are very beneficial. I have a bat house on my garage. They are the best insect control you can get.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Timberfaller nailed it - pun intended - build them some bat houses and then kick em out of the attic. You want these guys around, just not upstairs.

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

wingmaster78,

Being a non-regular attendee such as the Catholic bats, I got a good chuckle out of your story and punch line. Do they come back for the annual picnic or festival and super bingo as well? :)

Bats=good Insects in bats' bellies=better