1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bataan survivor dies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I seen on the news where the oldest survivor of the Bataan death march died.

The news is reporting that he was from Pickneyville, IL. and he died in Nashville, IL. I was just wondering if there was any chance any of us might have drove past his house on the way to the Grand. I've been in both of those towns on the way to the Grand. Heroes everywhere.

The first year I shot the Grand in the late 80s or early 90s I got squaded with a gentleman from IL. The traps where backed up and we had quiet a conversation, waiting to shoot. I ran into that gentlemen a few times in the next year or so at various shoots throughout the Midwest. I always stopped and had a chat. He never told me this but I found out later from other shooters that, that man was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. He also was from some other small town in southern IL. I'm sorry to say I forgot that man's name, but he pasted years ago.

There are a lot of heroes among us.

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Surviving the Rising Sun (Paperback) by Liz Irvine

"What an amazing documentation of this remarkable experience. This story should not be lost as the years pass. I admire Liz for the mountain of work she put into being sure future generations can see what happened to one innocent young girl as a result of war. The story is a beautiful testimony to the spirit and character of its author and her family. With faith and fortitude one can survive horrendous hardships and come out stronger for the experience, just as Liz did. Thank you, Liz, for sharing this moving story."

This book was written by a wife of a good friend and describes Japanese atrocities during WWII. Available on Amazon.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Read "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides. See the movie (based on Ghost Soldiers) "The Great Raid" (2005). Gripping accounts of the rescue by the newly formed Army Rangers. My dad, and hero Samuel Milton Palasota was on the Death March and imprisoned for three years. 200th Coast Artillery Medical Detatchment. Highly decorated for gaining the trust of the Japs, then stealing them blind to keep his buddies alive. Dad kept a diary and list of names and home towns of all that died under his watch and promised each to relay final words to family members. That he did. When he passed away on Jan. 7, 1999 at the age of 86, I inherited over 60 pages of post cards, letters, etc. from his capture to his rescue. He left behind some really proud kids.

milt

4. Stuart

Stuart Member

That would be Dr. Brown, father of Peg Doughty who owns and operates Oxbow Bed and Breakfast, on the South side of Pinckneyville. Until last year she cared for him at home. Then he has been in a nursing home in Nashville. He was 105 and a very interesting man to talk with. He stayed alert up till 4-5 months ago. The motor cycle Honor Guard showed up for his Visitation and Funeral today. All the flags are out all over town.
    Stu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.