1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bat Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ed Y, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had, what I thought was, some green mildew on the north side of my home and decided to wash it down with a mixture of clorox and comet, using a brush with a long handle. I started the job and decided that I needed a stiffer brush to do the job. I was rinsing the residue of my experimentation from my wood shingle siding and in doing so shot some water up under the rake boards, where the shingles fade in under them. Bats started to exit the slots, so many that I lost count, but at least 100. They didn't have access to the attic, only those small slots that I mentioned. That was Monday afternoon. I came home from shooting on Tuesday and squirted the hose up there again, to show a friend. This time, only about 40 came out. My plan is to blow them out with compressed air and fill the voids with that expanding spray type insulation. After it expands all the way I hope to cut away the excess and paint it over.
    Has anyone experienced this and/or have any suggestions before I do anything.

PS I know that bats are good to have around, but not when they s#%t up the side of my house.

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Be careful or quiet. They may be a protected species. If you say too much, you
    may get in trouble.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leave 'em. They eat something like a third to half their body weight in insects per night. They love Mosquitos. I wish I could get more around my house. I have a bat house on the back of my garage. Buy or build one and maybe they will relocate to it.

4. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

Hey grntitan, what are the dimensions of your bat house. I'd really like to put a couple up.
    Bob

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I also have a bat house but the bats prefer my house. The bat house is about 4"X10"X14"

Ed Yanchok

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My bat house Dimensions are aprox: (19"h x 9-1/2"w x 7-1/2"d). It is made from eastern white pine. The bottom is left open and there are dividers inside the house making edges for them to hang from. If you Google Bat House Plans, there are many to choose from. Thats what I did several years ago. There are also lots of houses prebuilt for sale as well for those non DIY'ers.

7. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Find a Catholic priest to Baptise and communion them.

They'll only come back at Christmas and Easter!!!LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ed yanchok catholic