1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bass guitar another hobby for retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Always wanted to play Bass. I took a few lessons 38 years ago on an upright but never devoted any time to it. I am looking for a reasonably priced Bass. Anyone have one? Maybe a trade for some reloading equipment or a handgun. I would be willing to part with a S&W model 52 for a nice one.Preference would be Gibson, Fender, or Epiphone. Bulge.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Go for it Mike. I bought a banjo about two years before I retired and it has been a lot of fun. But then I love Blue grass and country

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well there you go. Half the TS.com BG rhythm section is already in place.

4. turmite

turmite Member

Bulge, why don't you just build one? I made this one here last year for my grandson! Not a bass, but no different.

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=DSCF0096.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Lot's of fun, and gives you something to look forward to while making it.

Mike

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

They have fender knock-offs that sound really good. Talk to Trapmanjohn (send him a PM). He's a professional bass player.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Craigslist.org and ebay is full of musical instruments right now. Lots of people short of cash. One thing I learned is that it is hard to loose money on a used quality instrument. A Fender P base is always going to get a fair price. Some of the cheaper off brands are hard to sell if you ever want to upgrade, just like shotguns. Good luck on your bass guitar hobby. I picked up guitar at 30 years old, and enjoy it more in my 50's than back when I started.

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I played base in my younger days, now I just like to fiddle around.

Gne J

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I fiddled around in my younger days, now i want to play bass. Bulge.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Snowed in here for a few days so I been pickin n grinnin on my banjo. Good way to pass the time.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well I bought a Yamaha Keyboard when I retired and taught myself how to play. There are some great interactive programs for the computer for learning. Just takes time. Good luck and have fun. This is the great part of retiring. One can learn things they never had the time for while working.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Just bought from craigs list a Epiphone ebo 4 string bass with a strap , 2 books(lessons), 1 cd (lessons), a soft shell case, bass tuner, small 10 watt amp, and pick holder for $175. Happy as can be. The bass is almost brand new. Now I will sell my global banjo with all the books and cd for hopefully $100 and i'll be out only $75. Feel good. Bulge.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a great deal. There are not many hobbies you can get started with everything you need for $175. By this time next year you'll sound like John McVey and be touring with a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. <grin> Good Luck

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nah...he'll just have a 5-string fretless and be sitting at home with a crocheted hat, sore arm and puzzled expression on his face.

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I love playing the guitar. I will be going out to play at a club tonight. Good fun.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks for the laugh Buzz. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.