1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic choke threading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet100, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I have a 70's era gun I want to get some use out of. Not looking for steel shot proof just need a simple threading and a few tubes.

I know of Briley and have heard of Mike Orlean.

I know from reading here a lot of top quality barrel work goes on with trap shooters so who gets the nod for good work priced fairly. Like I say this isn't a $10,000 shotgun but I dang sure don't want it messed up either.

I see where if you go with Briley you get to buy Briley tubes and they are more than most.

Just a little advice needed.

thanks

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Carlson's in Atwood, KS.

They'll put Tru-Choke tubes in for a pretty reasonable price, and their turn-around is fast.

In fact, I have my daughter's 1100 barrel there now. Sent it Thursday of last week. They called this morning and said they'd received it, and I should have it back Friday of this week.

They did a over/under for me a couple of years ago.

Briley is, of course, the bigger name, but they're turn-around time and pricing aren't as good as Carlson's.

3. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Just be sure to use someone who specializes in this kind of thing.

As a Machinist of many years, I can assure you that there are a LOT of ways to mess up a good barrel if the person doing the job hasn't had some experience at it, or at least a tool maker or machinist who is used to doing prcision work.

4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Stu Wright or Tom Wilkinson are the ONLY two people who will install choketubes for me..

How do I contact these guys ????

I have seen several positive words spoken about them here.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

some very good work is done by Seminole Gunworks. The chokes will fit the bore. These guys do not sell a one size fits all. It will be right. http://www.seminolegun.com/

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

skeet100, Tom's number is 919-603-0167 and Stu's 618-357-8933

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I second Redhawk44 thread. Briley broke their bit in my Rem 1100 LH barrel. Ruined it. They wanted to cut 4" off of it to make good on it. I told them no and they paid for a new one. I had some other issues with them too. Wright's has done great work for me and their chokes pattern excellent. Dave T.

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have nothing bad to say about any of the above firms but I have picked up a few Remington LT-20 barrels at gun shows, internet sales, etc. that had been shortened a fews inches and had Carlson's put choke tubes into them. They are steel compatible for the same price. Workmanship is great as is price too.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just fyi;

Thursday, 29 May, I sent my daughter's Left-Hand 1100 barrel to Carlson's for choke tube installation, and to add beads to the rib.

I got it back, complete, with three choke tubes and a speed wrench on Tuesday 3 June.

About $165.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.