1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Wads and reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by midalake, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

As I was loading the other night, it struck me funny why we would be re-sizing brass with the hull empty??? Why not size the shell after all the components are in the hull and under pressure??? Maybe the real problem with the base wad migration happens when we are bouncing our empties all over the place?

GS

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Because we don't resize loaded shells with live primers. Basewads coming loose from bouncing hulls? You're kidding?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After the first one detonates in the resizing die you will see the light. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

GS- If you shoot shells with brass heads that have only been shot in your gun, it is not necessary to resize your hulls before loading them.

Pat Ireland

5. midalake

First off I'm not trolling! Not sure what loader everyone is using but with a MEC collect resizer, I would think re-sizing can be done in any station. As for the base wad becoming loose this can only be accomplished while there is no pressure on the base of the hull....it is just plain Physics. I also very much disagree with you Pat on the fact if there "shot in the same gun" they don't need resizing.......this may be the whole reason why there is a problem in the first place.

GS

6. midalake

Yes Collet...my bad. I know the Mec de-primes and sizes in the first station, same as most reloaders I know. BUT THAT IS THE POINT!! Maybe we have it WRONG? I want to know who said you cannot resize a loaded hull ???? I started shooting a different barrel with my reloads. The ones I had loaded did not slip in the gun well. I resized all of them [1000+] on a seperate super-sizer....no problems.......unless you strike the primer there is no bang.......With people not resizing and resizing a hull that has no pressure on it maybe we are the cause of the problem????

GS

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

With the Win AA 2 piece hulls, Winchester got it wrong. With the 2nd generation Win AA 2 piece hulls that have the non-boxed AA logo, I have not heard much about the base wad separating. Winchester seems to have fixed the problem be it a design flaw or may be just quality control. Also, I suspect that not as many people are loading Win AA hulls and if they do they are treating them like any other 2 piece hull, reload them only once or twice.

Jason

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I will load them, but have developed the (good) habit of looking down the bores after every shot, regardless of hull. If someone wants a target box of them, I do not hesitate to give them away. I am more likely to do this if the shooter has a break open gun.

I had a small Mason jar of red and grey AA base wads collected downrange of the trap line from Nashville Gun Club, many in front of the trap house. I have held in my hand a Beretta 391 with a basewad sized bulge about a foot from the breech. The shooter is well heeled, has never reloaded or shot a reload, and only shoots the 12. They were early Winnie Super Sports. Beretta said, must be the ammo, Winnie said must be the barrel. She was at the time, a Top Ten female Sporting shooter in the nation. No beginner with a firearm.

She now shoots a Beretta O/U with a recoil reducer and shoots Clay Cartridge Co ammo exclusively. (great ammo).

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you show us a picture of the base wads that you have collected? HMB

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would also like to see the base wads. I have recently tried to cut some AA hulls in several different ways to see I I could get a base wad out. I even ground off the rim of one case and tried to drive the base wad out with a hammer and punch. I also secured a screw into the base wad and tried to pull it out with the hull clamped in a vise. So far I have not figured a way to get the base wad out.

Pat Ireland

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

That is why I asked for a picture. I do not think the wads that were picked up are AA base wads. HMB

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the basewads are being found on the ground it's probably a mowed area. Lawnmowers have no mercy on hulls.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- I believe both you and I know what the purported base wads actually are.

Pat Ireland

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

midalake,

1. There is not very much pressure inside a loaded shell. In fact, given that you often hear pellets rattling around in a loaded shell, I'd estimate the internal pressure is essentially zero, even in the area of the powder. And certainly not enough to deform the metal base outward.

2. If you reload metallic cartridges, which are subject to significantly higher pressures than shotshells, you'd know that a reloaded metallic cartrige, if it is used in only one gun, and will only be re-used in that same gun, need only be neck-sized, not full length resized, since once it is fired, the case essentially takes on the shape of the chamber it was shot in. Same is true in shotshells. As Pat said, if you shoot shells with brass heads that have only been shot in your gun, it is not necessary to resize your hulls before loading them. He's right.

3. OK, you got away with it. I still would agree with the others, its probably not a very clever idea to resize a loaded shell. Its just not as safe as resizing it empty. And it won't do anything for you that resizing unoaded won't do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.