1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

base wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

How's this...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

I found a few like this... does the "AA" logo on the hull has a box around it? If so, it's one of the first generation 2-piece hulls Winchester made. The next evolution hull had no box around the logo and the basewad had 2 ridges around it to lock it into the tube under the brass.

This WILL get your attention.

MK

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What I would like to know is what kind of loader was used on those two hulls? I truly believe that does make a difference. Of course, I could be wrong for the second time. Jackie B.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If a hull has been re-loaded to the point of failure, it might be the split hull that allowed the basewd to move. A few better shots of the hull would be a bit more enlightening if they showed the split and the logo from the side.

Thanks for sharing!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its all trick photography. Everybody knows the AA base wads do not migtrate. I wish you guys would quit with the trickery.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wads don't migrate, birds migrate. Is that what you are trying to tell us? HMB

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At one time, I had a Mason Jar full of AA base wads found in front of Trap #1 and #2 at TCTC. At the time, I was accused of cutting open shells and filling up the jar, or else I had to have collected them after our club was mowed. After putting up pics of the jar, I threw it away and quit collecting them.

I will say that trap shooters may load hulls past their intended service life, but the fact is, AA basewads DO migrate in the hull, have lodged in barrels and many have cleared the bore.

When they first came out, a top 10 lady Sporting shooter bulged a barrel with the then new Super Sport AA load. She had never reloaded, and had never had a 20 ga gun. She is extremely gun savvy and did not do anything that would have caused the bulge, other than shooting the Winchester factory load.

Winchester said the barrel was at fault, Beretta said, ammo problem. She had to buy a new barrel.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1 , Any evidence that the basewad was crimped into the proper place to begin with? I don't think splits in the plastic would cause this because the basewad is normally crimped into the base of the brass.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

This was fixed a long long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, far away. Winchester fixed the problem before loaders even knew it was there. Thousands did hit the shelves and were sold. If you have any of the old Win. AA HS hulls that have a square box around the AA, you have the bad ones. Best to toss them in the garbage at home. Load shells on a Mec and forgetaboutit. Break=em all. Jeff

Yukon, Whats amatter??? Its raining all day up there and your bored right!!!

9. Pull & Mark

Jack, What kind of gun are you shooting that does not like a Win. AA shell??? How does it like the Rem. STS's??? Are you shooting a pasta gun??? I mean a Spaghetti gun, Sorry!!! LOL. Yes, Works very slow (dead) around here as well. Break-em all. Jeff

10. ken a

ken a Member

This may be hi jacking your thread but just this past week my son and I were shooting winchester 1/1-8 all purpose new shot shells and 2 of them hung up in the chamber with the base cocked and extractor holding on. He shoots a 12 benelli and never had this problem before. We showed the shells to the range master and his comment was, Oh yea this is a common problem with their cheap shells, everybody know about them, We didn't.

11. Pull & Mark

Ken, I'm not familar with the Win. "all purpose shells" per say, but most of the economy shells from the USA and Euro type have metal bases instead of the brass bases. Different makers have slightly different metal bases, like the rim may be longer or shorter, or thicker or thinner. This can cause problems with different guns extractors trying to match up. While that shell may be a large problem with your sons Benelli it may work fine in my 870. There is no ryme or reason as to why some work in one gun and not another. Try a few different ones until you find the ones that gun likes. If you have stocked up on them sell them to a shooter who's gun likes them. Try the Walmart 4 pack loads as I have not heard of any problems with the Win. Universals by most shooters, though most buy the Federals as they are a dollar less a 4 pack. break=em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.