1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Base wad migration !!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This happened at the Hawai State Shoot. A shooter from NC was shooting some discount shells that were provided. He said they were TOP GUN anyway he shot broke the target, no bad sound (blooper), etc--hull ejected. He told me for some reason he looked down the barrel & it had an obstruction. The gentleman & the other 4 members on his squad can verify this occurance. The most important thing is to always check your barrel after each shot & NEVER use a base wad type shell in an auto-loader. The gentleman tells me the maufacturer was Remington, I honestly didn't think Remington used base wads. He said the shells came in a 4 pack similar to those sold in Wal-mart. In all reality the final best safety device is yourself.

Phil Berkowitz

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How do you know it was a base wad? HMB

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All I know is what I was told by the shooter,who it happened to.

Phil Berkowitz

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Another example of third or fifth hand information and "No one saved the wad or the shell that supposedly lost the wad."

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Any body seen a base wad lately? HMB

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Gold medal brass and casing separation at Ohio State shoot.

He was sitting next to me at lunch time. Said everything sounded normal, target broke, brass came out looking like never hit loading machine.

Dealer wanted the box back. Also, said Federal is going back to ribbed hulls.

Regards.....Gerald

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have never personally seen the infamous base wad problem, but don't doubt it happens occasionally.

However at the GWG in Reno this spring, I did first hand see on 4 different occasions over 3 days an entire hull separate from the base...to the point one poor fellow had to take his barrel to one of the trailers and have it removed. It was glued in bad. The others we messed with until we got them loose and out.

All 4 were Top Gun shells. The saving grace from that problem is the empty base coming out pretty much gives you fair warning, as in the base wad issue it can stay secret.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gerald: Did they say what ribed shells has to do with anything or how?

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

"Gold medal brass and casing separation at Ohio State shoot."

One at Michigan State shoot also. Factory plastic Gold Medal. Case head came out.

Karl Hampel had to use a reamer to get the rest of the hull out of the K-80

barrel.

Jim Chapman

"I was there!"

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Shooter bought the case of shells from A.J. (no fault of his)

If I'm not mistaken I thought he said A.J. told him that Federal was going back to ribbed design of casing.

I've still got Gold Medal hulls from the mid 80s I've loaded many times with no problems.

It looked like whatever process they use to fuse the two together isn't working well.

Regards....Gerald

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm a Win AA shooter/reloader. Two shells last week I caught coming apart. I inspect them closely everytime I reload. I noticed a 1/8" line of fresh red plastic above the brass. The brass just pulled away from the plastic. I use the shiney two piece hulls. A little eerie. Not sure but probably my fifth time reloading them. Crimps are fantastic and the primers are tight. This is catching me by suprise. Dave T.

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Another good reason for not ejecting your shells. Stop launching them over your shoulder and some of these issues could be prevented.

13. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Phil - you might want to check on your story for clarification.. I don't believe they were topguns...

FRedmon

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Fred- the man said they were manufactured by Remington, he said they came in a 4 pack, he used the word TOP GUN--we both know the person & he he doesn't lie. H e wanted to shoot STS but this is what he got. Most important thing is DO not shoot a base wad type shell in an auto loader & don't reload base wad shells & check your gun after each shot if you use base wad type shells-

Phil Berkowitz

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Since "Remington" and "Top Gun" aren't related, we know that while the shooter may not lie, he IS confused.

MK

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

221: Explain? Be Nice!! Dave T.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, 221, Please do explain your reasoning??????

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

This Spring, when I was in one of my reloading frenzys on my Dillon, I had well over a dozen STSs pull the brass head off of the shell when they came down out of the powder charging station. I assumed the plastic part of the hull was too long and was sticking on the powder funnel as they were really tough and messy to remove. I would guess it was during a 1500+ shell loading session. With the brass head pulled off, of course there was no fresh primer plugging the hole and it was shop vac time. It didn't happen enough for a full scale investigation, but it was pretty aggravating. Never had it happen before, hope it hever does again.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm don't mean to put words in 221's mouth, but I think he means if you catch your empties in your hand, you have an opportunity to see a potential problem in the making.

I also had a high percentage of new smooth Federal plastics fail on the first firing and took the flats of them I had back and swapped them for pre-smooth hull lot number. When they were ready for retirement, I went back to STS/Nitros.

But I had goofy thing happen with them once, too. I had the crimp shoot off a Nitro 27 on its first (factory loaded) firing. I thought the shell felt short in my hand so I looked at it before dropping it in my bag. As Fred said on this thread or another one the other day, in this day and age of high-speed, lower-quality production, things will happen.

Ed

20. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Phil - did you have your ear plugs in? I have a picture of when he was telling you the story and I believe the correct info is "Gun Club" not top gun....

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.