1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrelsmith/Machinist Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have a new, new production, unfired Spanish 10ga sxs I would like to have re-made (made over?) into an 8ga.

I have (most, anyhow) of the reamers and the barrels are of good steel ... and there is plenty of it, so wall thickness is not even an issue and, of course, I will assume all responsibility and hold harmless, etc. ...

I'm looking for somebody whose business is barrels, not a bicycle shop with a lathe in the back room.

References? Suggestions?

GS

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

goatskin, It would be cheaper to buy a new Perazzi then do what you are looking for. 2 8 gauge shells would never fit into the width of a 10 gauge frame. Take 2 8 gauge shells and place the rims side by side and measure the center distance between the primers, now measure the distance between the firing pin holes in your frame. You can go smaller in gauge but not bigger.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Thanks Toolmaker.

In general, you're right. The AyA Matador, for example, does not have enough face. Pin-to-pin was the first measurement I took. It will work nicely. This is a massive breech, and why it will work is that it is NOT a Greener action and has a clean face and standing breech - no doll's head.

I have a couple of 8s already, but, well, one can't have too many 8bores.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Besides, if you carry an 8bore to the range - along with some lite loads - you always get to shoot other guns and everybody is smiling all the time.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

In reply to Toolmaker and to a couple of e-mails asking if there was enough barrel to take 30-40tho from and still have 30tho wall thickness ... err, yes.

TM, the pin-to-pin dims on the standing breech is 1.252, rim-to-rim gap on 10ga is .310. rim-to-rim on 8ga would be .222±.

At 18", bore is .775 and wall is .069. and 8ga full-bore is .835.

In answer to another question, yes, if this works, I'll probably do 2-3 more and sell them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GS

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

dang.

if anybody wants the pics, mail me.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

9. Hauxfan

And here are the rest of the pics for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you a little goatskin.

Hauxfan!

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You rock, Hauxfan.

Graciàs

11. Hauxfan

Glad to help.

Up one time for Goatskin.

Hauxfan!

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hauxfan,

I read the pics FAQ, too ... grrr and thought I got it right ... both times:
    img(on) url img(off), or does this board need html markup?

When I get the first one done ... you can shoot a round of doubles if you wish. Would you prefer 7drams of Holy Black or 43½grains of that newfangled Black Powder Substitute, Longshoot?

I found two willing candidates to do the work on the gun(s) and we are talking.

If anybody would like to talk abt owing your own 8ga double-gun, I'm going to make up 3-4 more, after the 1st one.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.