1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARRELS VS. BARRELS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have been in this sport a long time. one thing that has always amazed me is the difference from barrel to barrel. here is an example, i have a remington 870 trap barrel, 30 inch fc, 42 thousands constriction. this barrel hits targets with authority. a friend of mine has the same type of barrel, 30 inch fc, 42 thousands constriction. when he hits targets, they are chiped, with weak hits. there has been no barrel work done to either barrel. when patterning, my barrel shoots straight and 3 inches high from 30 yards. i also patterned his barrel on my gun too, it shoots straight, but his barrel shoots flat, shoots 50/50. how does this happen? shouldn't a mass produced barrel shoot roughly the same? what determines a great hitting barrel with the same constriction, to a poor hitting barrel with the same constriction. also what determines a barrel to shoot higher then others. both barrels are straight, no bulges, or dents etc. what is your opinion? have any of you experienced the same thing on diffrent brand guns with the same type barrels?
    steve balistreri

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Barrels that are properly straightened will probably all shoot to point of aim. Barrel straightening is an art in itself and a good barrel worker can make a barrel straight in seconds. That is not necessarily the best barrel for successful shooting as most top shooters prefer one that shoots much higher!!

3. senior smoke

with quality control, shouldn't all new barrels be straight coming off the line?
    steve

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

within the limits of mass production quality control...but then ocassionally a superb barrel slips out.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

For the same reason no two rifle or pistol barrels shoot exactly to the point of aim. There are all kinds of variables within shooting science:

- Variability in steel production

- Straightness (or lack thereof) of the barrel sample

- Ammunition variation

- Receiver-to-barrrel fit variation

- Difference in shooter performance (trigger pull, bead on target, etc.)

Any manufacturing process has a process standard, and goods produced within that process are subject to variances within the standard. Tolerances, both plus and minus are allowable. Otherwise, production processing would become prohibitively expensive, because of all the items required to be scrapped. Quality testing allows for those variances.

Shotgun barrels probably aren't measured with lasers or air gauges, which are the standard for rifle and pistol barrels. As with any objects measured within hundreths of inches, and not thousandths or ten-thousandths of inches, the shotgun barrel will have higher tolerances by design. Since a shotgun is pointed, and not aimed like a rifle or pistol, the patterns are naturally wider. This doesn't mean that slop is tolerable. It just means that the variables are greater, and that not-as-good products get through to the public.

Best,
    Dennis

6. senior smoke

pendennis- very informative.
    thanks,
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.