1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrels for Sporting Clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Jul 18, 2013.

1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

I have the Browning Citori Special Trap 12 ga. I want to shoot sporting clays with it also and since the comb is adjustable I was thinking about getting a second set of barrels for it.

My question is will I be satisfied with barrels that are IC and MOD? The only sporting barrels I can find are fixed chokes in those sizes.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Those will suit you just fine.

3. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Since your Special Trap has an adjustable comb, it can be set for Sporting as well as for Trap. If your current barrels take choke tubes, you don't need another set. If you currently have fixed chokes (for trap) they are likely too tight for the average shooter on many Sporting presentations. Yes, Experts can and do win Sporting events with tight chokes. But, many of us do better with less constriction in the chokes. So, I suggest that you continue to shop for barrels that take choke tubes, and consider 30" or 32" barrel lengths only. -Ed

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

buying a 2nd barrel set would be a waste of your money IMO...the SpecTrap barrels and rib are as good as any for Sporting,..maybe better...just get some quality extended chokes in suitable sporting constrictions...I shot a 100 straight in Sporting on an intermediate level course with my Citori Plus with 30" barrels and it was setup just the way it normally was for trap doubles...get the good chokes and practice to perfect your mount especially if you intend to start low gun

5. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

You're going to find that extra barrels for Citori's cost as much as an entire gun by the time you have them fit. My advice is to start by shooting your current gun with a pair of LM chokes in it. Then if the bug bites, get a dedicated gun. Ideally, you want a sporting clays gun to shoot flat -- it makes it easier to center targets requiring compound leads. Also, most clay shooters end up using use a soft mount (a semi low mount with the pad just below your shoulder) at the call so they can see the clays off the machines better, then mount into the moving target -- so a sticky or heavily curved trap pad is not ideal here either.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Browning will not sell you additional barrels, so the argument is pretty much moot. Midwest gun works has a couple different variants in the white, which need ejectors, fitting and bluing, or you MIGHT be able to find a used set of barrels if you look long and hard, but the easier (and likely cheaper) alternative will be to buy another gun.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you have an older Special Trap with fixed chokes, you might consider having screw-in chokes installed in your current barrels. Mark

8. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Shoot it as is. Buy spreaders for close targets and have fun.

9. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the input! Guess I will leave well enough alone based on what you have said.

Thanks sincerely,

Fred

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

3220, you don't say what your chokes are, but assuming mod. and full, purchase a flat of Fiocchi Spreaders, 1 1/8 oz. 8 1/2. As mentioned previously, it will work for close shots (out to 30 yds.) Usually it's good for 2 choke constrictions. If you like the game, buy a new gun, always fun.

For several years the craze was long and technical tgts., but now seeing more and more close and dropping tgts. Need a flat shooter and very responsive like a P gun or 725. If you have trouble locating the spreaders, contact Able Ammo (google).

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My buddy shoots a Browning Special Trap Edition, works great for SC.

Personally, I shoot modified and full , fixed chokes. I try to focus on the target rather than what choke tube I have.

Search tags for this page

soft mount sporting clays

trap barrels vs sporting barrels

what browning citori chokes should i use for sporting clays