1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrels Bent While You Wait

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Arriving at a Billings Montana Trap Shoot one day in the early seventies, the first thing that caught my attention was a long line of people standing behind a pickup truck, each holding a shotgun.

They appeared to be waiting patiently while some guy beat the hell out of a few sacks of shot that were stacked on the tailgate of the pickup. The instrument with which he assaulted the seemingly defenseless shot was the barrel of a shotgun.

As I cautiously approached the scene I met a fellow shooter who made clear what was going on with these words: “Gravestock is bending barrels.”

Since Larry Gravestock was my favorite of the “Big Dogs” (make that Hero) I ran to my car, pulled out my Model 12, and quickly got in line. Had my POI raised a few inches and it didn’t cost me a cent.

Gun work was cheaper in those days.

BB

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Booger, could this be the guy that bent a few of my old Model 12 barrels that I purchased second hand? From what I gather, the guy was a bit of a slob because there's still mustard stains on the rib near the bead.

They shoot good though.

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Tron,

He was a good guy and a graceful shooter. I watched him break 100 from the 27yd line in Helena, Mt in some pretty good wind.

Also, I believe he did like hot dogs with plenty of mustard. LOL

BB

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I can't tell you the number of times I saw shooters bend 870, 1100 and M12 barrels on a bag or two of shot. Most times after a couple hundred shots they were back to where they began. I have a 1100 Rem. barrel that a buddy of mine had bent, it shoots an honest 90/10. I won the Florida State Handicap with it in 1981! Those days are gone...thankfully!

Bob

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Bob, Why do you say "thankfully"?? They were fun times, slow pull-fast pull--kid in the house, there was more human interaction and an endless source of laughs and stories. What was that song about the good times behind us?? Bob

6. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

What did they do for O/U barrels? Lester

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Spare tire on a tailgate works too...

If the barrel returns to its straight position, kink the rib in several places (OUCH!). It'll stay.

milt

8. ABH

ABH Member

Would a bow press work for barrel bending?

ART H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.