1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrels are like women, hard 2 find the right 1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    We all know that stock fit is very important, but finding the right barrel for your particular style of shooting is usually a very tough thing to do.

I have a trap stock that fits me like a glove. The Monte Carlo is the perfect height, the stock is cast perfect for my fat face, and the pistol grip is just right for my small hands.

I have been searching for the perfect barrel that shoots where I look, along with having the correct poi that I need for my particular style of shooting. Recently, I found two 28 inch 870 trap barrels for my 870 TB (28 inch) is what I use as I can't handle a 30" barrel any longer. One barrel shoots to high, another to flat. It's frustrating, as I no longer want to bend barrels like I've done in the past, only to have them come back down to it's original poi.

I want to find a barrel that shoots where I look without changing my stock sight picture and keep it the way I already have it. I do not want an adjustable stock as I have had two of them an I wore out the Allen screws constantly changing cast and stock height. I often say if I could just find the perfect 28 inch fixed full choke barrel that I can shoot well, my search would be over.

A friend of mine feels there is no barrel made that would fit my particular style of shooting, but the search still goes on.

Have any of you been lucky enough to find the perfect barrel for your style of shooting? If you have, suggestion, NEVER EVER get rid of it.
    Steve Balistreri

2. illusion

illusion TS Member

your right on steve, in 55yrs I found 2 guns that I could never miss with and neither were leaving there owners hands, and I've been trying to get my guns to shoot like that, but no luck. if you have had the pleasure of picking up a gun like that you know what I'm taking about it's like they had radar. at one shoot at the 5-man at cudahy my gun broke on the 2 target of the event an my boss gave me his model 12 limited edition to finish the shoot, I proceed to ink ball 97 targets. so if shooters run into a gun that does that and can BUY it don't let it slip away.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Why not get an O/U barrel/women. Then you can choose what's best for that particular day.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They aren't hard to find but just like women, hard to train.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Don't expect full choke performance from a cyclinder bore.

Hap

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Steve - One option would be to have someone make a choke for you that allows you to use the stock and barrel you want. Any good choke manufacturer can make a choke shoot where you want it to. Maybe Pete Elsen can help you. Give this a thought.

Ed Fish
    Racine

7. senior smoke

Ed:
    That's a good possible idea as Pete's business is in my neighborhood of Wauwatosa.
    Steve

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thought you were gonna say ..Some are too loose...some are too tight ...and some are just right ; )

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Steve, I hear you but I have had better luck with a barrel. My 34" BT-99 has been altered by Seitz many years ago by Back-boring, Porting and choke work but has never failed me. I bought it new in 1978 and it never went out looking for greener grass. Either it's a keeper or just too dumb to run away. No matter what it was a good match for me. Duane

10. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

you guys miss the point, even if they turn out to be the wrong one they are fun to look at handle and try on your gun!!! sorry, don't know much about barrels. Jack

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Some of us are really lucky, I found the right one 52 years ago and she is a keeper. Almost lost her to cancer in 2009--10 but THANK YOU DEAR GOD she is now in remission. Now gun bbls---that's a different story, still haven't found that magic one. Ross Puls

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I got married the first time, thought it was forever, it wasn't ... Got married again thought it was for ever, it wasn't ... Got married a third time if it ain't forever I quit ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. pakk

pakk Member

Sometimes it's about making the wrong one right.

14. senior smoke

A guy I know saw this thread yesterday in my area, and he brought a 28 inch full choke 870 barrel to the club for me to try today.

The barrel had the right poi, as I smoked targets from the 16 yard line to the 24 yard line. I purchased the barrel and then signed up for the 30 bird event.

I smoked the first 15 16 yard targets, and then was running the targets from the 24 yard line. I get to station 1 and only hit one target out of three. Have no idea why I missed?

I signed up for another 30 bird event and once again could not hit any handicap targets from station 1, Missing all angles to the left.

I have never had trouble hitting hard lefts from station 1 before, but today was different. I patterned the barrel and the poi is perfect for me.

Every time I think I have my game in order, something goes out of whack. I stink at this game, probably should not even be allowed to own a gun.
    Steve

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Steve, I think you lack confidence. An attitude adjustment is about all that will help you. Not trying to be nasty.
    Clyde

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Steve---Sounds to me like you're not seeing the tgt soon enough on post #1 & making a panic stab at it when you do see it. Something to "try" (presuming you are RH)on post #1 move your hold point to the right (yes right) just a little & maybe down just a little that way you will see the tgt sooner & maybe that extra time will help you to make a smooth move to the tgt. This will also help generate a little more gun speed. Angle tgts are NOT getting away as fast as a straight away, but due to the angle involved are deceptive & do require a might more lead. "Experiment" you will find your answer, you have shot enough to know the basics just apply them. Good Luck--Ross Puls

17. senior smoke

Clyde:
    Your corrrect, but after 43 years in this game the hand writing is on the wall.
    Steve

Ross Puls:
    I think that is good advice. I am left handed.
    Steve

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Ooops, Sorry about that Steve but try something that lets you see the tgt a little sooner and generates a little more gun speed. You being LH have the same swing problem on post #1 that us righties have on #5. Maybe try turning your body a little more to the left & then kinda twist back when you call it's easier (for me) to uncoil after a hard right than it is to force myself trying to chase it. Ross

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our old friend "All good" (Mike Greenblatt) would tell you that the bbl weight creates a timing problem. That is your problem Steverino

20. senior smoke

I am certain that most of you are better trapshooters than my self. It is very difficult after 43 years of trapshooting that as soon as I think I have the right gun, stock, barrel combination, I suddenly can not hit most targets from station 1 from 24 yard handicap yardage.

I have had two former All American shooters years ago tell me if your left or right handed and you start missing angle targets on station 1 and 5, do not hold out further away from the traphouse, move in towards the center.

Let's face it, at my age, medical problems, I'm lucky to be shooting. My days of shooting tournaments are probably over, so I shoot each Sunday the winter 30 bird events at Lakeview gun club.

I have a sincere desire to someday run a 30 out of 30, not so much for the money, but to finally say that I was able to do it. I never give up, but it can be hard to accept at times that it may not be in the cards.

Some of you are so talented in this sport, and I hope none of you take your shooting ability for granted, as someday, you just might be experiencing something similar to what I'm going through. I hope not, as it is very frustrating. I know how to shoot, but I just can't implement it any longer.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.