1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrell porting jigs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone out there have one they'd like to sell? I've seen the U-Port-It from brownells, and that doesn't really impress me. I'd prefer one that did the Seitz pattern porting, as above, instead of staggered holes. Just looking for something to play around with.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Am not sold on porting especially the drilled versions. Too much blowback and crap coming back. Its not worth the cost of procuring the equipment vrs sending the barrel to someone who knows what they are doing. Now if you are a gun smith and are looking add a capability to your shop then its a different story.
    TB

3. skeet_man

opening a shop would be a long term goal once i get myself established on the machining industry,,,but i'm just looking for something to toy around w/ for now,,,,and maybe make some spare shooting $ doing some jobs for the guys @ the club,,I know alot of guys that would spring for a $30 or $40 porting job on their 870 or 1100 that wouldn't dream of spending a c note on a "professional" job by proport or angleport.

4. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

It is my opinion that without stress relieving the work there is more damage to the barrel than it is worth. EDM is the only way to port a barrel, that is the way the manufacturer does it.

Take care,

Jim

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jim,

You drill a hole in the barrel and it becomes stressed. Are you sure? Please explain. HMB

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jim,

You drill a hole in the barrel and it becomes stressed. Are you sure? Please explain. HMB

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

You end up with a barrel that will be called "Porting by Black & Decker", don't do it, or spend the money to do it right.

8. skeet_man

point taken about the liability aspect,,,sometimes I forget how litigious a society we live in.

I'm curious though, if this style of porting is all bad, how come Eyster still uses it?

Would still like to get a jig for my own use if one shows up.