1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ScottEslick, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I am thinking about getting soem barrel work done.

1. Is it worth the $$$$

2. Who would you have it done by?

Thanks,

Scott

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

What kind of barrel? What kind of mods?

ss

3. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

BT-99 Fixed IM barrel,

Forcing cone, backbore and mabe chokes.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Forget it.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i agree with rick-- backbore $200 + choked-$175--- by the time its over you'll spend $450 easy!! i cant remember the last time i saw a trapshooter changing chokes?!!( oh god , there's another thread) trade the gun in for an upgrade-- better yet- take the $$ and shoot more rounds!! happy shooting

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

IM fixed-choke BT's shoot like gangbusters, generally speaking. I just looked over a friend's shoulder as he tested a possible purchase at the pattern board and I told him it shot straight and great.

Neil

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That gun ought to be a shooter as is. I'd tend to think you'll get a better result from a fitting session with a reputable gunfitter.

There is nothing about the barrel, as you descibe, that I'd change.

ss

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Check Wright's if you decide to do it. I have a BT99 that Stu Wright did the barrel work on and it is the best BT99 I have ever had and I have had several of them. The complete barrel package includes 2 1/2" forcing cones, back boring the barrel by diamond honing it and rechoking the barrel with the Herb Orre super choke method for $315. Hard to beat the price and the quality of work.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the work would give you mental confidence that your gun is much improved, it could be worth it. If you are looking for confidence, do not pattern the gun before and after the work. If you do that, you will not gain much confidence.

acss- I agree with you, I have not changed my choke tube for over 20 years. I do take it out and lube the threads once every 2-3 years.

Your money might be better spent with a fully adjustable stock.

Pat Ireland

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Scott, IMO barrel work is for guns that don't shoot straight or don't pattern well. If yours is fine, you are wasting your money. If not, and you like the gun, $300-$400 is worth it to get it fixed.

My previous barrels were unmodified and performed properly. I decided to replace them with longer, adjustable rib barrels. Two of the three barrels threw horrendous patterns. I sent them all to Kerry Allor who made them right. I'm very, very happy with their performance now, but I still wish they were "right" in the first place.

11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Pattern the barrel. Maybe forcing cone to reduce recoil?
    I don't know barrel Id or present length.
    Barrel work won't make you better shooter unless you are looking for that 1 target in 200.
    I have had great service from Kerry allor

12. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Just a little follow up, I an having stock work done so I can get it to fit properly.
    I just want to get the best shooting gun I can out of my BT...I bought it when I was a kid.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.