1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel work ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fearlessfain, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

barrel work will not improve anything except the "barrelsmith"

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I guess the above posters are saying that you will spend between $300 and $400 to do the barrel modifications on a single barrel gun, is a BT-99 worth spending that on it?

However, to answer your question, the three that are most often recommended on this site are as follows. Bill Malcolm

Tom Wilkinson ... web page is ... http://ncta.home.att.net/wilkin.htm

Jim Eyster ... web site is ... http://www.jimeyster.com

Kerry Allor phone 810 326 3943 E-Mail: bblworks@hotmail.com

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Barrel work??? You have not mentioned what is your goal??? I had the single Barrel of my Citori Plus done by Kerry Allor just this summer. The goal was to put as many pellets in the pattern at handicap. I have shot this gun for 14 years and know it well. When I got the gun back and shot it, I did not think it was the same gun. So what is your goal???

GS

4. Ceil

Ceil Member

Question, If the intent is to take a .729 Perazzi barrel out to .740, what is the difference between a Wilkinson, Eyster etc job and one from Briley, angelport etc? The most important thing is to have the bore perfectly round and concentrict with the choke. If the POI is to be changed, then the rules change. I don't understand how the pattern would be different if the quality of the boreing job was the same.
    Ceil

5. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I had Ken Eyster do his magic on my barrel ( KS - 5 Special ) 3 years ago. Money well spent. Went from the 20 to the 27 in one year. Gun will hang inkballs at the 27. I was not going to use the gun from the 16, but it incinerates 16 yd. targets. I also had the barrel frozen. Don't know if that really did any good, but I was trying to eliminate all the mechanical things. Now if I could just take care of the mental stuff..............hmmmmm. Nubs Wagner.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Barrel work makes a gun worth considerably less and harder to sell to boot. Kinda like drugs, just say no. Jake

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

barrelsmiths are all hype. they survive because a lot of shooters are always trying to reinvent the wheel. why spend money to remove metal from your barrel, thereby making it weaker and worth less money?

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

OK, have to chime back in. The last two comments on this post are just wrong and they are VERY uninformed. I could not be MORE happier with the work I had done. Now that I have my barrel fully worked on from end to tip, it is the best money I have ever spent. I was also explained to, that if your gun is older and not one of the very upper class guns, this maybe money even better spent. Like I said I know my gun very well, this gun has NEVER has hit targets as hard as now........reguardless of ANY type of loads I have used in the past. I will work with it more this next season, to see if my averages come out better, especially handicap.

GS

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike, above, gives some very good advice. I have had 2 different barrels done, both Perazzi's. The first one was an MX-15 barrel. It had factory Perazzi choke tubes in it when I got it. While it shot ok, it did not do the job I wanted it to do. I patterned different chokes, as well as different loads, and they all shot pretty much the same patterns. I decided to send the barrel to Briley for back boring and custom choke tubes. When I got it back and patterned it again, the difference was like night and day. Much more consistant patterns with more uniform shot distribution. The other gun is my current DB-81 single barrel. It, too, shot well, but not great. It had a factory fixed choke barrel: .725 bore and a .691" choke (.032"). I sent it to Tom Wilkinson to tune the barrel for 27 yard handicaps. When I got it back, it was back bored to .742" and choked to 708" (.034"). A trip to the pattern board confirmed that the work was well worth the expense to have it done. The barrel now hits the targets much better, and I have the utmost confidence in it. The O/U barrels on this DB-81, on the other hand, are factory stock and throw awsome patterns. There is no need to have any work done to these barrels since they are perfect for shooting doubles as they are...... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike.... You won't get any argument from me about any of that. While a lot of shooters think the barrelsmith is just out to lighten your wallet, I'm TOTALLY CONVINCED that sending my barrels out to be tuned was well worth the money I spent. I now KNOW my barrel is giving me the very best pattern I can get from it because of the work I had done to it. Usually, those that are the naysayers are the ones that have never shot a before/after tuned barrel and experienced, first hand, what a difference it can make. While tuning a barrel is not for everyone, it may be worth more than a passing glance if your current barrel is not performing up to its capability and not giving your the scores you are after. Only several trips to the pattern board can reveal this, and many shooters never pattern their barrels. Of those that do, many more don't know how to read and interpet those patterns to determine whether barrel work is necessary or not.... Just my observations....Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

how in the hell will freezing your barrel improve anything?

12. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

let me say that i have spent as much time at the pattern board most . i used to take a 30inch hoola hoop and draw a 30 inch circle around the pattern (paper pattern) then mark it into sections like an 8 pieced pie. then mark each hole with a marksalot and count the holes in each section and note them. it was a lot of work and took a long time. as i remember this was done at the recommended distance (i think 30 yards)that was about as scientific as was done at the time. this method only proved what that shell would do in that barrel at the time. (do it 10times,you won't improve it)it would tell what percent of choke you had by counting the holes. but ten a found a quicker method. from a book on patterning and another by another writer and they came up with a means of shooting the pattern at 10yards and measuring the shot spread (disregarding the obvious fliers)70% was7 inches=full choke,i think 10 inches was modified, and skeet was 17 inches as i remember. now you may scoff at this method but i verified it many times with the count the holes method.this a quick and accurate way to tell where the gun is shooting in relation to it's rib and/or beads. i did all of this from memory because my patterning book is upstairs i can get it down with all the different choke values if interested.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

fearlessfain- I must comment on your post. You clearly do not understand something.

You stated "how in the hell will freezing your barrel improve anything?" If you are shooting in Hell, freezing your barrel would at least give the barrel some short term relief from the high temperatures. Just think how hot your barrels would get shooting a doubles marathon in Hell.

Pat Ireland

14. Ceil

Ceil Member

Dan Thome (Trap2)
    In the two barrels you had backbored, could you see much difference in the quality of the patterns between the two shops that did the work? Also, is it possible to get the same quality pattern in the same barrel for singles and handicap without changing chokes?
    Thanks Ceil xchowejr@lemoorenet.comx

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ceil...... When comparing the two barrels, I would have to say that the Wilkinson barrel showed the most improvement. The patterns from this barrel show a much more even distribution of pellets, especially in the outer 5" ring of the 30" circle. While both will pattern well over 80% at 40yds. the Wilkinson barrel's pattern is the best of the two. Both barrels were in the $400.00 range to have done. As far as the same quality pattern for singles, yes, the quality of the pattern is still there, however, it is much tighter and denser. With the MX-15 barrel, I could change chokes to a .020" for singles and .032" for handicap, but I never did. I just left the .032" choke in the barrel all the time. With the DB-81 barrel, it is a fixed choke, so I shoot it as is with the .034" choke. The tighter choke for singles helps you become a more controlled and precise shooter, in my opinion. Nothing helps build your confidence faster, and accelerates your progress quicker, than hanging smokeballs from the 16. You learn EXACTLY where your gun is shooting..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. Ceil

Ceil Member

Dan
    Thank you
    Ceil

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

fearless said the same thing about smokeless powder .

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's one test comparing a tuned gun with a stock one.

Neil

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I did,t send my barrel to Wilkinson for a better pattern . I sent him the barrel to get a bigger pattern and he did that . My barrel shot a 21 inch pattern at 36 yards way to tight . After Wilkinson sent it back it shot a very good 30 inch pattern at about 94% .

Charts and Diagrams never broke a target a good pattern will

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe in magic. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are eyster barrels worth it