1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nutso, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutso

Nutso Member

I planning on having some barrel work done to my O/U barrels, lenghn forcing cones, set up fixed chokes for doubles etc.

I've talked to Tom Wilkinson and liked the discussion. Any thoughts or recommedations on others?

Thanks in advance for you opinion.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Same question I always ask someone contemplating spending tons of money on something they may not need:

<i>Why do you think you need to have this work done on your barrels? What's wrong with them now?</i>

Suggest you do a search and have a look at the thread entitled "Wilkinson backboring."

Read the last post in that thread by Neil Winston.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

TW is the best one to use to fine tune your barrels. The performance of your gun will be at the max. HMB

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

timb has it right

In addition if you cant answer the why- just understand that you are lowering the value of your gun

So you are paying a lot of money- and losing a lot of value so you should be able to define what your expectations are exactly

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If porting is an etc.. skip it. Wilkinson barrel work will not hurt the value, might even enhance it. Porting almost always devalues the barrel and doesn't provide anything lighter loads won't give you. Imho

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am not big on changing barrels, but I purchased a gun that already had some barrel work done to it by Wilkinson, I didn't have it prior to it being worked so I honestly can't compare it, before and after ... I will say this barrel smokes targets from beyond the 27 yardline and patterns better than anything I have owned prior to owning this gun, and I have had quite a few to say the least ... The Model 12's I have are untouched with the exception of one of them which was opened up by P&P when they were P&P, and it still patterns really tight ... I would probably have another barrel done based on the results of the first one if there was a need to get the pattern adjusted on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

For me...if I had to choose between the same gun with one having Wilkinson work and one didn't, I would choose the Wilkinson barrel everytime. As for value, don't think it increases the value much (if any) but it does increases the saleability to the buyers on this board. However...porting, other fluff or work from lesser known smiths will only reduce the value ....IMO

8. Nutso

Nutso Member

Porting is NOT on the list, the bores are .720, yup, and no they're not .724 like everyone says they must be (Perazzi)...I've mic'd them myself, and had a gunsmith do it TWICE. So those are going to be opened up a bit, and the fixed chokes tuned for doubles. as well as the trigger converted to bottom first, and he will also look at the POI. This will be money well spent for a gun I plan on keeping for a very long time.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tom can also change the point of impact. So if you require a gap in the beads he can raise your POI to eliminate most of that. Sometimes that is a valuable as the barrel work.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nutso, what are the barrels marked? 18.3 ? And what model Perazzi is this??

11. Nutso

Nutso Member

MX-3 round block, top barrel is marked 18.4 and measures .725, bottom barrel is also marked 18.4 and mearsures .720.

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Mark 425 you are 100% correct in that anyone who would take a factory barrel over a Wilkinson tuned barrel is crazy. I bought 2 K 80's with fixed choke barrels and one was Sk/Sk and the other was IM/F which are the only 2 choices they have. I shoot SC so I had the IM/F changed to M/M and the Sk/Sk done with his thin wall chokes. Both work excellent and shoot the same POI. I shoot M/M for everything and have never changed the thin wall chokes.

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

This subject has been tossed around on this site like a boat in a hurricane. The thing that strikes me as odd is that those that say it doesn't make any difference are usually those shooters that have never owned, shot, or had the opportunity to compare patterns from a "worked" barrel before and after the work has been performed. Some, like Bill (WPT) do notice the difference and will say so. I have shot trap for over 30 years. I have owned more guns than I want to admit to, some with factory barrels, and some with "worked" barrels. My conclusion after all these years is that EVERY gun I shoot competition with has had barrel work done to it to enhance its performance. You may not be able to tell the difference on the line unless you are an expierenced shooter and have shot a TON of targets, but you sure can tell the difference in the barrels patterns if you check them. The difference really becomes noticeable with a gun you have shot for a long time with factory barrels. Send that same barrel out and have it done and then shoot if for a while. Compare your before and after scores. Compare your before and after patterns. This is where you can really see the improvement. Keep in mind that barrel work is not usually for the novice shooter, rather for the experienced shooter that is trying to squeeze 1 or 2 more targets per 100 out of the barrel. If you haven't done these comparisons, then you are just plain uninformed and don't really have any facts to back up your statements... The very best barrels I have ever shot are the TOM SEITZ barrels on my MX3 combo. I have also had a DB-81 that Tom Wilkinson did for me and it showed the same type results. Am I a big fan of porting? Don't really care, one way or the other. The Seitz barrels I have are ported and came that way. Am I a big fan of barrel work done by a reputable barrel smith? ABSOLUTELY!... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. Nutso

Nutso Member

Well said Dan..if a shooters is serious about competetion then he/she will start with a factory gun and tweek it, stock, barrel and choke work, and weight, to get to max performance, which maybe only a target or two, or maybe even just a half target. A factory gun is made to fit the average shooter, who doesn't exist.

If shooter buys a gun to shoot awhile and then re-sell it then they shouldn't do anything to the gun.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

As a second choice and more flexible think about Briley for cones back boring and install choke tubes.

Nothing wrong with Wilkerson many consider him the best; however you can get the same work and choke tubes to boot for the same money or less from Briley.
    Joe

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Trap2, How many more times are you gonna flip-flop on this issue? Not so long ago you admitted it was a waste of money, now you are back on the wagon. The the thread was posted to refresh your memory.

How does one "fine tune" a shotgun barrel? Patterns are never the same twice in a row.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry.... True enough, no 2 patterns are the same. However, if you take out, say, 10 pattern papers for both before and after the work is done, as I did with the MX-15 barrels, you will easily see that the worked barrel is more consistant in its pattern. I did not mean to say every pattern from my barrel is the same, I simply stated I got more consistant results with the worked barrels.

As for flip flopping, I do that occassionally when I discover something that is working, and I thought it wouldn't. I've done it before, and chances are, I'll do it again....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some of you boys are clueless when it comes to fine tuning a shotgun barrel. Sad but true. HMB

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb, that is why I asked the question. Illuminate this clueless boy. How does one "fine tune" when patterns can be 10% different from one to the next?

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I suggest Tom Wilkinson or Kerry Allor for the Bbl work.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.