1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel work on a Beretta 303 trapgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There's no reason I can think of that it won't shoot just fine when you get it back. Is there a particular predicted result of the work?

Neil

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I sent a PM to you.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I don,t think a bore of 740 is a problem . Most problems I see is bores over 750

4. cubancigar2000

thats because you beat me there, it is there now

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

sagepost2, I sometimes shoot my B-303 for reg.targets and it crushes clays as is with about any loads, 30 inch mobil chokes. I also have a Rem.1100 with a .742 backbored barrel and its very sensitive for which wad and powder it likes to digest. With the 1100, sometimes a 3 dr 1-1/8 load won't eject the hull completely, depending on how the wad base seals in the bore.

Before you have that work done, make sure your not opening up a new can of worms that will leave you with very limited choices!! JMHO and experiences with standard bores and overbores I own now. I'd also think a good barrel smith would have a bit more input too?

Hap

6. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Gary...

I shoot one with a .780" (10 ga) MoneyMaker barrel. No problems at all. If your in or ever get around to Ca, you can give it a try. I can shoot 1oz loads at 1050 and still get the thing to cycle.

Matt

7. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I owned an A303 Special Trap with a 32” mobile choked barrel and never felt I had to make any modifications to it. in fact I bought another A303, a field model in 20 Ga and a 26“ barrel, both spectacular reliable guns.

Berettaman7

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Why do you think you need to have the barrel overbored?

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The 1100 I mentioned above would more than likely work well too if I'd ream out the gas ports?

Buying a barrel already having all the bugs worked out is one thing, having a barrel bored by who knows? Guaranteed to cycle or not? That's what I wanted to make Gary aware of, not that overbores don't work when done right.

His barrelsmith should have told him whether or not his wads would work, in my opinion. Hap

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Gary It does make a big difference if you shoot alot in cold weather . The 740 bore will not give you a problem But if you go alot bigger (760) you may .

11. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

If you backbore a 30" .721" barrel to .740, taking into account no backboring in the chamber and forcing cone, you'll pull out 2.6 oz. That is a lot of weight and will definitely affect the way the gun handles.

12. cubancigar2000

I have one 30" bored to 738 with a 25 thousands choke that will make a believer out of anyone who shoots it

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I would really have my doubts that backboring your 303 will help your scores. It might help the recoil some but not that much and for the problems it can create i would never think about ruining the barrel to try it. You can get choke work done that will much improve your patten if that is your issue. And not ruin a barrel in the process. Just my thoughts and i have shot 303's for years and still do. Most barrel work is a gimmick only for the American market.

14. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I had a 390 barrel backbored to .745" & it developed a circumferential fatigue crack at the barrel lug/gas chamber area. I had to buy a new barrel. I could not see a significant improvement in the backbored barrel & in view of the cracking problem, I have left the new barrel original. John

15. tj303

tj303 Member

Leave the barrel alone. The only improvement you may want is custom fitted/made tubes made specifically for that barrel. The best improvement in your scores will be from professional coaching. TJ303, yes I have lots of 303's.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

sargepost2, Matt never said his barrel was bore oput to .780. That is 10ga bore diameter so if he bored it that far he would have no barrel left! he has an after market big bore barrel called either a Baker Big Bore or a Moneymaker big bore barrel. I suspect that a good set of choke tubes would get you all the handicap performance you could ever need. My .02 cents and worth double what you paid for it. Jeff

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

PS what do you mean that is has to open of a bore? Don't you mean too tite of a bore? .720 is pretty much industry standard for a 12 ga barrel as far as bore diamaeter. If fyou mean that it has a 720 choke then it would indeed be quite open unless it had been overbored quite a bit. More information is needed to answer your question because as stated it doesn't make much sense. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.