1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel work needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I have a barrel that has a .728" - .729" bore as measured with a good quality bore mic. When you look down it, it has a "wavey" look to it, maybe several "waves" per inch.

Is there a gunsmith that can "clean it up" to maybe a true .730"? I don't want to loose much barrel material, that is reduce the weight. It also has choke tubes, so again I only want .002 material removed. Is that possible?

Thanks for any helpful info. Randy

2. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I would send to Briley.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Before you spend money to do anything, have you patterned it?

Is there anything wrong with how it breaks clays?

If not, you may be wasting your money on work that doesn't need to be done.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I agree with timb99, I think you will be waisting money. You are only talking about .002 of a choke. Put it on a patern board.

5. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Randy,

Send it to the best barrel man out there Jim Eyster!

(740) 625-6131
    jimeyster@ecr.net

Sincerely,
    TNCoach

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shoot it at 28 yards. If it throws a 20-22" even pattern, it will break targets at the 27 and it's a keeper.

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Call Stu Wright. He will have your anwser about the "waves".

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Whats wrong with it other than seeing waves?

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I have shot a few patterns at both 35 and 40 yards with my usual Light Full screw in choke. The choke is .028" constriction. I have 2 barrels for this 1100. One looks as smooth as a Perazzi barrel and a bore mic never moves off .729" the entire length.

The "other" barrel (from my back up gun) looks like it has an extremely shallow "rifling" pattern in it with several corkscrew like shadows (the waves) per inch. When I ran the bore mic through it the needle wiggles from .7280" to .7285". I know that is not much, but it is very visible when you look down the barrel. There is also a 5" section in the middle where it is .729".

I admit the patterns seemed OK, but every time I miss a handicap target that I thought should have broken my confidence is tested.

I don't want to spend over a hundred bucks that's for sure, but would like to think any misses are only my fault.

Thanks to all who suggested gunsmiths. I will give them a call and see what they think.

10. TD1958

TD1958 Member

So what you are saying is that after you have this barrel work done and you miss a target it's not your fault nor the gun barrels so who's is it? Just say'n you are playn mind games with your self. That barrel has nothing to do with you missing that target. Good shoot'n, Tim

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Are you sure that isn't a Hastings barrel on that
    gun?

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Send it to the BarrelMeister, Kerry Allor. If anyone can fix that, he can.

Click link above.

He is probably the best barrel man in the USA.

Whiz

13. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

What you are seeing down the bore are remnant markings from the hammer forging process used by Remington, and this effect is caused by trying to run the machine at a faster feed than what used to be normal. Ripples and waves are caused by the metal not being completely hammered flat against the mandrel, since the hammer blows are now spaced slightly farther apart than what would be needed to make a nice even surface as we all have come to expect. Some examples are worse than others in this situation, since there may be alternate machines sometimes in use and the circumstances of run/set parameters may slightly vary.

Just the effect you want, brought to you by the penny pincher production speed fanatics that think if very few notice the issue, then they have gotten away with another shortcut, just like the sawtooth rib top surface debacle, but that didn't fly since it was too visible and easily felt by the average uninformed shooter.

What you have there probably is a good hundred bucks of honing time to eliminate the uncommon appearance.

Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.