1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel work AL-2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony12ga, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

"There is only one barrelsmith that I would recommend without hesitation or reservation. He's done superb yet affordable work for me and the number of his fans and supporters grow with each passing year. His work is universally considered expert. He is Mike Orlen, the "Barrel Mechanic."

http://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

2. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

You might try Stu Wright. The website is http://www.wrightschokes.com/

3. ranchobob

ranchobob TS Member

Briley will fix you up. I took a 30" special trap barrel of a 303 to them, every barrel is different they will have to mike it and see what they can do. My barrel was full choke and they were not able to thread it for moblie choke not enough steel. They threaded it for their thin walls with 3 spectrum ext chokes it was almost $400.00. Now you dont have to get sprectrum or extended or even 3 but the package is for 3 chokes. If I could do it again I would find a mobile choke barrel in your prfered length as all Al 2- 303 incl. B80 barrels are interchangeable. The entire job or barrel will be over half or more of what the gun is worth in pristine condition. I have heard Carlson or trulock will thread barrels too.

4. marsingbob

marsingbob Active Member

Mike Orlen is great, and inexpensive. He will install Colonial tubes, not factory tubes. 303 and Browning B-80 barrels will interchange with Al-2 barrels and both had some barrels (not all) made with choke tubes. The 303 barrels use mobile chokes, the Browning barrels use the early Browning choke tubes. If you chose this alternative and you buy a 3" barrel, you may need to open the gas ports to shoot light loads.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old Berettas were developed before there were light loads in Italy. My 303 sporter had to have the holes opened up. Beretta did it for free at the Grand, many years ago.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

its almost cheaper to buy another barrel w/ mobil chokes and sell your original barrel

28in mc barrel w/ extra tubes approx $270

selling your barrel for $100?

having a barrel threaded isnt bad , but its the extra chokes that cost $!

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Like ACSS said. Save yourself time and $$.

Search tags for this page

mike orlen barrel mechanic