1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Seeing quite a few guys with barrel weights at league. Wondering if I'm missing something of course (more crap to buy?). Shooting a new style BT-99 32" with Gracoil and adj. comb. How would I know if a bbl. weight would help and how to determine at what point of the bbl. to best attach it? Wasting my time on this thought?

cheers and Happy New Year
    Bill

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well I would say there is only a need if your gun has a light feel or is whippy. Not sure how long you have been shooting this gun, but if you find yourself blowing over, and by angle targets added weight may help. I have used added weight to match the balance weight of my single to my O/U. I have also used them on my hunting shotguns. For myself I would not shoot a BT-99 without weight. If you do add weight, I would start with whatever it takes to make the gun balance on the hinge pin[where the gun breaks open], with the weight being as far back as possible. Otherwise you can just start by feel. If you feel the need to add weight add at least 6oz. For me I cannot get a trap gun heavy enough, for others they can not get it light enough.........it all depends.

GS

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I feel almost exactly the same way; I had a BT-99 that I couldn't shoot at all until I added some weight...I think I used a Barrel Buddy tha allowed for adjustment w/the amount of weight. I started experimenting by taping some weight at the end of the barrel to get an idea of the "feel" needed. I kept stopping the gun, pulling through targets, etc. until the weight was added.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you have the money and want to experiment, why not??

But don't join the thousands of "Mod of the Month Club" members who can't resist adding every new gadget that someone else has added to THEIR gun, convinced that it will be THE answer to all their shooting dreams.

Morgan

5. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks for the responses. Weight doesn't bother me but the gun does feel light toward the muzzle balance-wise. Bought the gun new Aug. and now have about 7000rds. thru her. I might pick one up and give it a shot. Might help improve my follow through and shooting over too often. Gun shoots around 90/10. Sounds like the starting point would balance on the hinge pin.

Bill

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

One point I would add also, about the hing pin area for balance. I run a drop pad on my gun which adds weight to the back. If you do not have any added weight in the back you may have to add some there as well. Shot right down the bolt hole will help. Also weight that is added in the rear of the gun many times does not make the gun feel much heavier, the weight is carried by your body much better there.

GS

7. LMac

LMac TS Member

Bill, I bought a BT-100 not long ago set up like your BT-99, and found it to be butt heavy. Bought a barrel weight from NCP and it made a world of difference.

8. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks. I've got the full Gracoil LP and adj. comb...that's weight. After reading responses, I ordered the Graco weight kit last night. Anxious to set it up and try it. It's taken this long and that much ammo to finally feel 'attached' to the gun. This might be the 'fix' for those remaining little quirks.

bill

9. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

I consider all barrel weights to be eye sores. Balancing on the hinge pin is nonsene. If recoil is not a factor forget barrel weights. Forget about balance and shoot the gun.

If recoil is a problem put some weight in your stock. I'm shooting a second generation (fat fore end) BT-99. I have shot the Model 12, K-80, 90-T and BT-100. I have never had one iota of balance problems.

Those of you who think I'm nuts are refered to Frank Little's VHS tapes. Earl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 barrel weight

bt 99 weights
trap barrel weight
trap gun barrel weight