1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Weight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm obviously have a problem with my gun being too fast. I easily swing through angled targets since switching to an unsingle from an O/U. I think weight to slow the barrel movement down might be the best choice to see if it fixes the problem.

How much weight would be ideal to start at? Will a few ounces really make any difference?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to wrap the barrel with lead solder wire and black electrical tape to hold it in place. I can add a couple coils at a time until the weight is just right. A couple of ounces can make a big difference. The closer to the muzzle the more affect the weight has. HMB

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Go to a Golf shop..they sell stick on lead strips. You can layer it to get the desired results.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a new Grayco clamp on type for sale below for $50. It has 4,6, and 8 ounce weights. And you can slide it up and down the barrel to get the perfect swing.

5. drgondog

drgondog Member

Have you borrowed another, heavier barreled single to see how it feels?

For me, adding weight anywhere, butt or barrel screws up the inherent correct balance point between the hands.

Extending the length of the barrel with an associated increase in weight (small - how much does two inches of a hollow tube weigh?) changes the moment of inertia slightly by adding that weight at the tip of your shotgun, which changes the Cg of the shotgun slightly forward.

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Buy a Meadow industries 3 ounce barrel weight with doublesided tape. Don't use the doublesided tape until you figure out the position. I used electrical tape wrapped around the weight and barrel, threaded through the rib. You can fine tune it by moving it forward or back just a couple inches at a time. When you like it, peel off the tape protector and anchor it. You don't like, take it off and sell it. No harm, no foul.

7. drgondog

drgondog Member

I'm with Mike on the Process to figure it out.. and really with him on the 'lingering problem' which is sell it..

But trying a friend's longer barrel version first if possible is a easy cheap approach. If it is threaded for a choke tube already - like a Briley - then replacing the flush tube with an extended one is the same thing as adding that much barrel.

I went through that exercise twice in my first twenty years of pigeon shooting - trying to stay with a 28 3/8 live bird gun that I loved for hand thrown but felt a little too fast for box birds out of box 1 and 5/9. I actually dremel'ed out a channel in my forend and epoxied first 2 oz of shot, then another ounce to bring my weight up from 1,49 Kg to 1.57 Kg barrel weight equivalent. In that way I didn't have to fool with tape, and the added weight was much closer to the center of gravity of the original shotgun.

I finally switched to another Perazzi with 29 5/8", 1.590 Kg barrels that worked better for me and didn't feel a loss at hand thrown.

Regards,

Bill

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My bt-99ar has much heavier barrel than the one I was uing previously. it took me a full season to get used to it, but then I experienced a big improvement in scores. Perhaps just be patient and try to get used to it. Bill

9. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Rich,

Before you start changing a bunch of things.

Try sliding your forearm hand out some. This will slow down your swing.

Ron Burdick

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ron,

I will give that a try. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding weight to shotgun barrel

anyone try briley clamp on barrel weight lenth

best position barrel weights

briley clamp on barrel weight