1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Weight for 870 Competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joee12, Jun 25, 2013.

1. joee12

joee12 Member

I shoot about 4 rounds of trap a week with an 870 Competition. I have been shooting about a year and a half and am usually hitting between 20-23 clays a round on average with the usual crappy round of 17 or so every once in a while. I am on a quest to hit my first 25 straight. One of the problems that the older guys tell me that I have, is that I swing the gun too fast. They are suggesting that I put a weight on the barrel to smooth out the swing. The standard 870 weight will not go on the end of the magazine tube due to the 870 comps piston. I saw online some weights that clamp on the barrel by Briley and Meadows Industries, but not sure what weight to get, they have 3 ounces up to 10 ounces. I would really like to get a single barreled trap gun that is 34", but right now I just don't have the funds. Any advice is appreciated, thank you, Joe

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

They are nuts. You just need to shoot more. It iwll all work out soon.the comp is a heavy gun (weight forward) to start with

3. shaggist

shaggist Member

If you want to add weight to the gun, I have a 1 1/4 lb steel rod that fits in the magazine tube. This way the weight is between your hands for good balance. I'll sell it for $15 plus shipping to wherever you are in the 50 US states. If it is too much, then you can just cut it off to whatever length you feel would give you the proper amount.

Jack

4. archangel

archangel Member

Shoot more: its not the gun. I do it too: with my 870tb, xt, and bt-99. it happens when i do not have a good visual lock on the target. I tell myself to slow down, stay in the gun thru the shot, and watch the target break. one more thing ya dont have to break them as soon as they leave the house, you have alot of time: slow down especially with handicap. mike

5. ABH

ABH Member

I'm with Mike on this one Joe. The 870 Comp will crush birds from the 27yd line. You have plenty of time to make the shot in singles. Relax, and slow it down. If you still feel that you need a barrel weight, tape a steel rod under your barrel at different distances from the forarm nut. Shoot the gun for a few weeks, while moving the weight back & forth, and see what feels good to you. Once you have determined the amount of weight & distance from the forarm nut that feels right, buy the finished product and install it on your Comp.

ART H.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You CAN"T put anything in the mag tube on 870 COMP models, the piston is in there. One of those mercury clamp-on gizmos will add some weight & "maybe even reduce recoil a little more. Fantastic gun wish they would build them again. Ross Puls

7. joee12

joee12 Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I took all of the advice to slow down and shot 3 rounds yesterday, 22,21 and then a 23. I focused on slowing down and taking more time. I am going to continue to focus on this, thanks again, Joe

Search tags for this page

870 competition trap rounds

how can i add weight to my 870