1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel under lug problem. on T/S K-80

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I was shooting my topsingle K-80 this past Saturday, when the gun just started to not "feel right". A slight vibration could be felt, but it was so slight I ignored it. Soon after, the ejector stopped working, so I looked a little closer. The forearm was down approx. 1/4" from being fully seated against the barrel, so I pulled it off and found the little plate that the actual lug is attached to, that itself is attached to the barrel, had come loose for approx. 3/4 of its length. The front quarter was still strongly attached, but after a close look, it appears most of the attachment plate was never fully adheared to the barrel in the first place. The small part in the rear had given way, and with my opening and closing the action in that condition, it bent the plate. As you can see from the pictures, there is noticeable rust on the barrel, where it should have been a secure fit. Has anyone else had this happen? I bought the gun used about 2 months ago, so I don't know its full history. I shoot a lot of 7/8 and 1 ounce loads, and my 1 1/8 ounce loads are only 2 3/4 dram.
    8straight_2009_15114.jpg

8straight_2009_15115.jpg

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Send to Ottsville ASAP. Jeff

3. high 2

high 2 Member

Ditto to what Jeff said. Looks like it was never quite right. Larry

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Might have been soldered on monday after Octoberfest. Jeff

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Not a joyful thing to happen, but an easy fix at Ottsville. I have an old 32 that was shot so much the underlug wore down. They easily replaced it. Not real expensive as I remember. Mike

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The take forend lug off and resolder them all the time. Mostly it is to fit barrels that were not made for the gun in question. They move the lug on my .410 barrels in short order. They will do it without a reblue if you're close with your money.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Actually Ottsville always reblues when they solder or weld- well always might mean 99 percent of the time

I cant imagine that this isnt covered by warranty

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A forend lug should never come of the barrel. A proper silver-soldered(brazed) joint should be as strong or stronger that the two material being attachrd.

If you were to try and twist the lug off a barrel properly soldered, you would tear the barrel and twist the lug. We would do this at Kolar with scrap barrels to prove the point.

Krieghoff should cover this under warranty, as does Remington when the ring on there barrels come off.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problem k80 shooting one barrel only