1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel to Tom Wilkinson for chokes?flush or extend

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loanman, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loanman

loanman Active Member

I am getting ready to send my Perazzi barrel to Tom Wilkinson to have him install his chokes in it. I am trying to decide if I should go with flush chokes or extended chokes. Tom says his extended chokes extend only 3/8 and I wanted to know if anyone on here has these chokes that can provide a photo of what they look like before i decide on whether or not I should go with the flush or extended

any help would be appreciated

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Loanman..... This is really a no brainer. Send the barrel to Tom and tell him to do whatever he thinks will do the best job for you based on what you want the barrel to do. Are you looking for performance, looks, or both? I assume, since you are sending it to Tom for performance, let him make the decision. If, however, you are more concerned with how the gun will look after the tubes are installed, go with the flush chokes because you won't be happy with anything else. It sounds like, from your post, you are more concerned with how it will look with the extended chokes, than how it will perform. If Tom says they will both perform the same, go with the flush tubes. If he says the extended choke tubes give better performance, then you will have to decide what is more important to you: A gun that looks good and breaks targets ok, or a gun that has extended chokes that smashes the targets.... Just my take on it... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You'll have to use a wrench to tighten them and take them out. Might as well get flush. Looks better too (my opinion)

4. max trap

max trap Member

I had the flush chokes in my Seitz. They look and perform great....But you MUST take them out often and clean them. If they were left in for a period of time they became difficult to remove.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

His extended chokes are some of the best looking around. 3/8 extended and knurled. (look like a Brilery extended but only half as long and blued) Besides if you accidently drag the barrel on concrete the extended choke is the only thing that get damaged....not the muzzle.

JMHO

Dave

6. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Flush chokes will pretty much keep the gun balance as it is now. Titanium might even lighten the feel.

Depending on the extended choke tube design, you can add up to 2 oz or so on the (O/U) muzzle end, making a noticeable difference in balance. For ATA it's probably the better thing where a smoother, slower, more controllable gun is desirable.

Something to consider.

- - Bill

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I think the man has every right to know what his gun will look like after a $1100 job.

Wilkinson will not put in choke tubes without tuning the barrel for it. You can rest assure you'll have the best result afterward. I'd go with extended chokes. Lot easier to change and more protection on the muzzle.

Either way, don't use oil on it, use non-evaporation Graphite Anti Seize Lube from "Sports Care" or "Casey" after cleaning, you'll not have stuck chokes.

8. loanman

loanman Active Member

thanks guys, Tom sent me a picture of the chokes and the extended look really nice so I decided to go with the extended
    [​IMG]

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The man does superior barrel work, bar none.

Besides, you'll look waaayyy cooler shooting Wilkinson extended tubes. LOL

Shoot well, shoot often.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

does Tom make regular(e.g. non thinwall) extended chokes??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are flush chokes ok for trap shooting
tom wilkinson choke tubes phone number
wilikinson chokes
wilkerson chock tubes

wilkinson choke tubes

wilkinson chokes

wilkinson extended choke tubes
wilkinsons chokes