1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel to choose for sporting clays, 5 stand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Some of my old trapshooting squad mates have tried sporting clays and 5 stand and they like it? I would like to try it. I do not have choke tubes on my 870 barrels, so these are the barrels I can choose from. 30" full choke, 28" modified, 26" skeet, 26 " cylinder. What barrel do you sporting clay and 5 stand shooters suggest I use?
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Since all 5 stands and Sporting Clay courses are set up different, and with different targets set a different distanaces it is impossible for anyone to tell you what choke you need for any station on any course. That said. Most courses I have shot at around here are all set for 20 yard to 40-45 yard shots. So a Skeet,Improved Cylinder, Modified are the 3 most common chokes needed on any station. So bring along your skeet and your modified barrels and have at it. If you have never shot sporting clays you will soon discover why it is the only growing target sport. Its just plain fun shooting in the woods. Nothing better. I love to shoot it during the summers down here. Its a great way to still shoot and get out of the sun. Most clubs have roofs on the stations around here. Have fun and wait for the incoming targets to come in before you blast-em. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

3. senior smoke

Jeff:
    My friend Luther and I tried sporting clays the first year they ever opened a course in our area. We both had our 870 pumps and can't remember if we used skeet barrels or not? We both had 35 out of 50 and were disillusioned for shooting so poorly. Move forward 30 years and I find out some of my old friends are shooting sporting clays and 5 stand and they like it so much that they joined a league. I just want to try it again to see how I do. To be very honest, shooting scores of 35 out of 50 doesn't excite me to much. On the other hand, shooting poor scores in trap does not excite me to much either.
    Steve

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You're in luck. There's a sporting clays fun shoot at the Waukesha Gun Club in
    Wisconsin this Sunday. You don't have to be a member of the NSCA, you can shoot what's called "hunter class." Skeet choke is probably better, you usually don't need a choke as tight as modified for most sporting clays targets.

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Steve,
    Im not an avid Sporting Clays or Five Stand shooter ,but I think you could get away with a Skeet ar a 28" Ip. Mod barrel????.From the few times I played those games I think you could do ok with them.

Sandy Holehouse.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Every course is different. The beauty of the sport...

A lot of course you can get by with IC, but as more and more clubs are going to battery operated machines, the distances are starting to get out there, not on all the stations, but enough to notice. Really depends on the target setter for the club and/or how hitable the club wants to make practice targets.

Many clubs have what you would call "skeet in the woods" and as the name implies all you need is skeet chokes, maybe IC on several stations.

I shot on a several courses the past few weeks. Once club (two courses) had a
    course where all you needed was skeet choke, but the second course had three or four stations that needed close to modified choke. My gun in the afternoon when we shot the second course never saw a skeet choke.

Many 5-stands that are on a combination skeet/trap field use the trap. With the stands set at the 20 yard line or further back the trap shoot cannot be easily hit with a skeet choke.

Use your modified and skeet barrel. #8 shot.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you are seriously wanting to make a good showing use the mod barrel but have a few different loads in your pouch..some 3dram 1 1/8th loads and some 1oz spreaders for close in....dont you have an 1100 or 11-87 Steve?? heres your next good excuse to buy another gun ; )

8. senior smoke

I have a long time friend that has more guns than David Koresh. Over the years he has said anytime I want, I can use anyone of his guns. So I took him up on the offer to shoot skeet. For two weeks in a row I beat him, so he said he wanted the gun back. He offers me a gun to use that had extreme right hand cast, (I'm left handed) let's just say he doesn't like to lose. The more I think of it, I can lucky break 16 yard trap targets, what the heck am I thinking? I need to think this over some more. My mind says try it, my body says"what are you thinking"?
    Steve

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, That's just the fun of it. A 35 in 50 is the same as a 70 on a event. That score just might get you a win in hunter class!!! You don't need to shoot a perfect game in sporting, like you do in trap and skeet. The minute you drop the first bird in one of those you might just as well stop shooting and go home as it were. I shot a 54 one hot day after a local Sporting Master Shooter set the course during the whole week. I thought it was the worst day ever!!! I still won my class. Sporting clays give you targets you never see in the other two games!! A Target that does not fly in a strait line. Boucing rabbits, Arcing Teals, a hard curving outgoing target just makes you track targets like never before. Try to find a range by you that has 2 different courses as they will have a short course for your skeet chokes and also a more advanced course for the seasoned veteran shooters who will use the light mod. choke for all targets in most cases. Standard loads are fine on the short courses. 1,200 fps loads are fine. Some sporters like to use 7 l/2's because there are 5 different targets used in sporting clays and the Rabbit/and Teal targets have a very hard thickened edge and can be very hard to break. Many shooters have found targets after they hit the ground with several holes in them and they still did not break. That's why many like the 1,300-1,450 fps loads of 7 l/2's in them. Its just a more friendly game as you can talk, tell stories, and joke around as you go from station to station as well. Only drawback is its more expensive than trap or skeet to shoot Reg. targets, and if you want to be competitive you'll need your own cart to go around the course in the warmer months to stay sharp and not get tired to fast. Now if you need a cart, trailer, and good tow SUV or truck and to do so with todays fuel prices, it really adds up. Ouch!!!. Its still great to have fun with your friends though. Have Fun. Break-em all. Jeff

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use an IC choke. Use #9 shot for close in birds, #8 shot for medium length birds and 7 1/2s for long shots and hard to break targets like teals and battues. HMB

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

If you have only one barrel with fixed chokes...MOD or if available LM (.015) is even better. Less than that is "spray and pray"

To address the other comments. I just, 1 year ago returned to Trap shooting after a long absence. For the last 12 years prior to that I shot Sporting almost exclusively. The problem is it just got so expensive to shoot a tournament or two each month and practice one at least once a week or more. The money I was spending, even though I can afford it (barely) was just silly. Now that I am back to Trap...having twice the fun at a fraction of the cost.

Lets say you want to enter the 5 stand (not at his event, but usually 90-100 bucks), shoot the prelim and the main. Walking is not really an option at most tournaments, your squad mates will not be happy if they have to wait at a station for you to show up, have a cart or rent one. So...add up your costs based on this typical tournament:

mark425_2008_030352.jpg

p.s. Better leave the wife at home :)

12. 3357

3357 Member

If I was stuckwith one choke for sporting clays it would be .015 (LM)

13. Dickgshot

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to fish and he'll keep a thread going for.....

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Of your options I'd shoot your 28" mod. barrel. I wouldn't think about the choke situation too much. Don't over think it. Go with your gut feeling. You wouldn't hesitate to hunt with that modified choke if you had to. HMB's advise with the shells is a great consideration. I use a shell aprin similar to a nail aprin where I can have 8 1/2, 8, 7 1/2 shot on me.

35/50 with a pump regardless of how long it's been, your age, and only done it for the first time is fantastic.

Go and enjoy the day. Don't back off from doing it you'll regret it.

Smalltime informal fun leauge can't imagine it's one of those break the bank torneys. Enjoy the day.

15. senior smoke

Jeff:
    My friend Luther and I tried sporting clays the first year they ever opened a course in our area. We both had our 870 pumps and can't remember if we used skeet barrels or not? We both had 35 out of 50 and were disillusioned for shooting so poorly. Move forward 30 years and I find out some of my old friends are shooting sporting clays and 5 stand and they like it so much that they joined a league. I just want to try it again to see how I do. To be very honest, shooting scores of 35 out of 50 doesn't excite me to much. On the other hand, shooting poor scores in trap does not excite me to much either.
    Steve

16. Dickgshot

You're in luck. There's a sporting clays fun shoot at the Waukesha Gun Club in
    Wisconsin this Sunday. You don't have to be a member of the NSCA, you can shoot what's called "hunter class." Skeet choke is probably better, you usually don't need a choke as tight as modified for most sporting clays targets.

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Steve,
    Im not an avid Sporting Clays or Five Stand shooter ,but I think you could get away with a Skeet ar a 28" Ip. Mod barrel????.From the few times I played those games I think you could do ok with them.

Sandy Holehouse.

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Every course is different. The beauty of the sport...

A lot of course you can get by with IC, but as more and more clubs are going to battery operated machines, the distances are starting to get out there, not on all the stations, but enough to notice. Really depends on the target setter for the club and/or how hitable the club wants to make practice targets.

Many clubs have what you would call "skeet in the woods" and as the name implies all you need is skeet chokes, maybe IC on several stations.

I shot on a several courses the past few weeks. Once club (two courses) had a
    course where all you needed was skeet choke, but the second course had three or four stations that needed close to modified choke. My gun in the afternoon when we shot the second course never saw a skeet choke.

Many 5-stands that are on a combination skeet/trap field use the trap. With the stands set at the 20 yard line or further back the trap shoot cannot be easily hit with a skeet choke.

Use your modified and skeet barrel. #8 shot.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you are seriously wanting to make a good showing use the mod barrel but have a few different loads in your pouch..some 3dram 1 1/8th loads and some 1oz spreaders for close in....dont you have an 1100 or 11-87 Steve?? heres your next good excuse to buy another gun ; )

20. senior smoke

I have a long time friend that has more guns than David Koresh. Over the years he has said anytime I want, I can use anyone of his guns. So I took him up on the offer to shoot skeet. For two weeks in a row I beat him, so he said he wanted the gun back. He offers me a gun to use that had extreme right hand cast, (I'm left handed) let's just say he doesn't like to lose. The more I think of it, I can lucky break 16 yard trap targets, what the heck am I thinking? I need to think this over some more. My mind says try it, my body says"what are you thinking"?
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

targetclaysbarrellsetup

what size barrel for sporting 5 stand