1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel shoots left... now what?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I shot my mother's Krieghoff off a bench rest this week to check her POI for her. The height was good, but it was shooting 1.5 to 2-inches left at 13 yards.

Any thoughts on what to do about it? She's not shooting badly with the gun, but is just getting back into the sport after a 25-year layoff...so still working out the kinks. It does seem like she hits 'left' on a lot of birds.

Should I see about getting the barrel bent? Other options?

Mark T

2. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

I may be able to help. Call me 740-354-4078. Harold T. Pack

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Let your mother shoot the gun at the petterning board. Then you can make an informed decision. HMB

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Aim right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Many guns appear to shoot left for right handers when it's really the shooter.
    You're supporting the gun with the right shoulder, and holding the forearm with your left arm. When it recoils it wants to recoil to the left and that
    thows the shot off. You may be pulling the gun into your face when you shoot -
    a natural reaction.

If you look at the posts on Trapshooters, everyone about a gun shooting off line is to the left. I doubt that every gun that shoots off line only shoots to the left. Don't do anything until you're absolutely sure that it's the barrel and not you.

6. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Here's some more info....

The gun was shot several times from a bench rest with heavy sand bags by three different shooters. All three shooters shot to the same point of aim. This isn't gun fit at play here.

Mark T.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Move the comb left.

8. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Wrong way Matt.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dangit, I was going both ways in my head. Ok, scratch the above post. Move the comb right. Move it the way you want it to shoot. I always screw that up.

10. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

If all else fails call Krieghoff and send the gun in at there direction. If there is a problem with the barrel they will be able to ID the problem and most likely correct it. Ron

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

If Krieghoff won't make it right, (and I'm suspecting after this much time, they may not, assuming she shot it 25 years ago)...call up Briley and see what they say about putting an eccentric choke in it. They are very good at this, and can do either tubed or fixed barrels...but you'll get better results if your barrel is fixed choked, and has tight constriction to begin with.

They will trig out how much "tip" the choke needs to move the pattern the specified amount at the specified distance, then re-bore the choke path on a new angle, basically removing metal on one side of the choke until the pattern is "right there." It sounds dubious, but really works, and they do it quite often. The less choke it has, the less metal they have to work with, so that's a limiting factor in how much the pattern can be moved (if it has tubes, they will simply start with a very tight choke blank with thick walls to remove metal from). If you start with a full choke, they can usually move 15" or more at 40 yards, and still have at least an Imp. Mod choke left when they're done (but check with them to be sure).

My experience with tubes and eccentric impact points is that if you don't finger-tighten them every station, they loosen up, rotate, and tip your pattern up, down, and every which way (I've had this done before, and although their work is accurate, I wouldn't do it again due to the hassle of remembering to keep choke tubes snugged up).

If she has a consistent mount, there is always the option of adjusting her comb to center the pattern, then having a gunsmith move one of the beads to the side a small amount to correct the sight picture to what she wants (assuming she even pays attention to that when she mounts the gun). This allows you to maintain a true full choke.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Remember the acronym FORS for moving your front and rear sights.

Front sight Opposite, Rear sight Same. On a shotgun your eye is the rear sight, so if you want the pattern to move to the right.....move the comb right.

If you want the shot up... lower the front sight, or raise the comb.

Wayne

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I had this problem with my Friends CG. Three shooters shot it, Shots all went Left. I turned the choke 1/4 turn and wouldn't ya know, the pattern moved right. 1/2 turn and it was dead center. Dave T.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bend it as a last resort

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Thanks everyone for the info.
    Mark T.

16. Smiley

Smiley Member

Using a pattern board is ok to get a feel of where the gun is shooting but to tune it properly you need to get your mum to shoot straight away targets and do adjustments until she is centering the clays(smokeballs)Paul

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Straightening a barrel is not rocket science. If the barrel is outside Krieghoff's accepted standards they will correct it. Give 'em a call!!

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Send it to Ottsville......

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You need to shoot the gun off a rest on a pattern board and take a picture of it along with your hold point marked on picture.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mark, seriously she needs to be the one that patterns it.

Also I prefer for POA especially shooting off a ladder where I can acheive a more upright posture. Why is that I've done enough both ways to know that unless you lock gun into a vise that you n the guys are possibly doing a bizzare mount that would effect shot placement. As someone else stated, a right side shooter will pull gun to left when shooting a static shot.

Iam also going to assume by age that this is a unsingle. These are different to bend with tall rib. You can pop them loose. Make sure that whoever does it is well versed. I would suggest (correct way for any) to send gun to Tom or Kelly to do it. They can remove rib, bend barrel and then attach rib. This procedure also eliminates periodic bending as will be necessary otherwise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sidexside shoots to left on pattern board