1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Rib Work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

I bought a BT 99 Plus here on trapshooters.com about 9 months ago or so and the rib on the barrel is not fitted properly and was just wondering if there was anywhere I could send it into get it fixed that would do a good job.

Yeah I know I got ripped off cause he charged a premium price and didn't disclose this issue plus a large patch of finish missing around the base of the tang where he covered it up with tape so I couldn't see it in the photo's and had an excuse why the tape was there and I believed him because I just wanted to believe someone would do that. He post here still but I don't have any desire to spread his name around but if I see him try and sell another gun I will put out a warning then.

Anyway getting it fixed will aid in fitting the gun properly because in my mind how could you fit the gun if a rib isn't lined up right.

BTW the barrel itself is fitted properly it's the rib that would need to be removed and installed right. Or just buy another barrel if I could find one.

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

PM me his name and trapshooter.com ID and I promise I won`t spread it around. You got burned!!!!!!!

3. jmunsell

4. jmunsell

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Contact Rodger Eubanks He watchs this site. Does ribs both old and new.He is located in Idaho.

6. jmunsell

Any contact info for him?

7. marsingbob

marsingbob Active Member

Roger's phone number is 208 337 4212. His shop is in Homedale Idaho. He is very good on all aspects of shotgun barrels and ribs.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Guys... This was beat to death this spring. The rib alignment is a cosmetic issue only unless something has changed.

The guy paid way more then the gun was worth even if it had been 100% of what the seller stated. He paid 1850.00 for a used BT-99.

I will tell you what others told you then.

Shoot it or invest another 600 to 1000.00 in a 1000.00 gun to have it put right.

Then you will have from 2350 to 2850 invested in a gun that is worth 1000.00

Look.... YOU GOT HOSED!

Not only did you get hosed but you insist in throwing good money after bad and asking for our help in how you best waste your money.

Sell the gun and move forward with a gun that doesn't piss you off every time you look at it.

and P.S...... Tell everybody the name of he crook who screwed you. I agree with your logic about the release trigger. The guy had to have known.

In all sincerity... Just sell it and buy something that doesn't bother you.

Make your first loss your best loss and move on! Jeff

9. jmunsell

SuperX thats OK you feel that way but I know what it might cost and I really like the gun and want to fix it. You would not find a BT99 Plus with all this one has for a $1000 and if you could please show me where a bt99 plus for $1000 is with a gracoil system, kickezz pd, high viz sight and nearly new barrel with this grade of wood is I will buy it. So far I have won my first buckle with it in 8 months and I think if I fix it I may just take the whole shoot. The last shoot I shot 96 out of 100 with it. At my age it's worth it. I just wanted the info who could do it not to be told how I got burned. Thanks for your input though.

10. jmunsell

I will post some pic's and you will see why I want to keep it and have it fixed.

11. jmunsell

I just had a thought that may suit my needs. What is the thinnest add a rib I can get? I can add it and slightly offset it to make up the difference then just raise my adjustable comb to match. Why didn't anyone think of that? I don't think anyone will even notice the difference. Wouldn't matter if they did really.

12. marsingbob

marsingbob Active Member

Why bother with pictures? It really doesn't matter how you got the problem, you have only 3 choices. 1. Live with the problem. 2. Sell the problem and either try to screw the buyer you sell to, or tell him about the problem. I do not have the impression you are going to deceive the buyer you sell to, and he is going to discount the price to cover the cost of the repair. 3. Fix the problem.

It may not be quite as expensive as it might seem. The major cost of relaying a rib is as much in rebluing the barrels as relaying the rib. I think it may be possible to relay the rib on your BT99 with solder that allows the barrel to be hot blued, and if so it will be quite a bit cheaper than the typical old double or over/under that requires rust bluing.

13. jmunsell

Anyone know where I can get a add a rib 1/8" thick or so? I think that's the cheapest answer.

14. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

see above

Chip

15. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

And post the jerks name that sold it to you. I think you should. I think everyone else here does too.

16. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Phillip Crenwelge reattached all the ribs and side ribs on a 3 bbl Win. 101 Trap Combo without the necessity of rebluing at an extremely reasonable price. He can reblue if you like. Phillip is the all round best IMHO.

Bill Penn

17. jmunsell

In his last email he sent me, and I still have them all, he stated he sold me a gun as is and he sold it in good faith and I bought it in good faith (but yet didn't disclose these issues) and it was I would have to deal with midwest gunworks about the new barrel they had put on with the misaligned rib and he knew nothing about the finish. He said he had put $2750 into the gun. He did send $150 back but that's not going to fix the issues.

Signed: Jon Reitz

I tell his name with a lot of thinking about it because I'm not one to hurt anyone but I don't want to see this man sell another gun here.

18. jmunsell

19. jmunsell

20. jmunsell

I have found that it will cost a total of $700 to repair the issues with the BT99 plus Jon Reitz sold me not disclosing these issues. That is aligning the rib as it should be and refinishing the stock and making it look like it should. Want to make it right Jon you know my address.