1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel regulation ?- for my own education

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeezix, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeezix

skeezix Member

What do the various gun makers do to regulate o/u barrels?

I presume that the bargain basement sub $1000 guns are probably mass produced and they are what they are.

I'm wondering how or even if the Browning/Beretta 680 series guns are checked beyond some measuring table checks for manufacturing tolerances?

Do any of the makers actually test fire barrels and re-solder/braze if required?

This is just to satisfy curiosity on my part.

John

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I know Kolar spends a lot of time making sure the barrels shoot where they are supposed to, I saw how they are made. I have heard that some B-guns have had issues and been sent back to the manufactures and been told that ...they are within specs. Bill Malcolm

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bill, funny you mention that because I have heard it the other way around. I've never heard of a Browning with different points of impact, but know shooters at my club that have had that problems with Berettas that were sent back that had a POI problem and they said it was within specs. Even so this is a rare problem in both of these guns. And the bottom line is most shooters are shooting one or the other of these guns. A wild guess would be that around 70 percent of shooters are shooting one or the other of these guns in my area. Both of these guns are mass produced as well. I expect that both companies use lasers sighting to check POI on todays guns. You get what you pay for if you buy a new O/U for less than l,000 dollars today. They will not hold up over time and have some kind of break downs in most cases. You would be better off if you bought a used browning with invector Plus chokes, that can be had for around l,000 give or take condition in todays market. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I agree Jeff, in that it is a very unusual occurrence. I can't recall specific instances. I think also that many shooters have not patterned their guns and have just learned to shoot them the way they are. Bill Malcolm

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Thanks, we were having the cheap o/u discussion on shotgunworld. Those of us that advocated saving your money until you can afford a B-gun or something in that range were told we were elitist know-it-alls and to butt out. A.) I realize, especially these days, that folks have limited resources- but still I'd think you'd buy the best gun you could afford with your dollars - if it happens to come with two bbls stacked one over the other- fine. OTOH, it is a little hard to quantify the real differences (beyond hearsay) as to what the real difference between a B-gun and a h-gun or a y-gun is. Sure the wood is better, the finish is better, and all that. But those folks don't want to hear - the hammers are soft, the bbls are/aren't regulated well, can you get parts?, etc. Gets to be a frustrating argument if all you can do is talk opinions without any facts or statistics.

John

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John... Then why even bother trying to argue with them at all? Their minds are made up so it's useless trying to confuse them with facts. Some shooters cannot understand the simple concept that if you buy a "cheap" gun, you get a "cheap" gun. Buy a "quality" gun and you get a "quality gun". Cheap guns are very seldom, if ever, a quality gun, and a quality gun is very seldom, if ever, a cheap gun.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

You're right Dan, It is difficult to know if someone asking the original question knows the difference - and is ok with the difference. Or, if they just don't know why a sub $1000 gun isn't as "good" as a gun that costs 2 or 3 x as much.

Unfortunately it seems to only take one or two "I have a brand x and I love it" posts to outweigh a bunch of "don't do it posts". I see that a lot in the reloading forum as well - All it takes is one guy saying he loves his LLA and everyone else suddenly become elitist snobs.

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel regulation

browing shotgun barrel regulation

browning barrel regulation

does beretta regulate their barrels