1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel porting youth 20ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Leb, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leb

Leb Member

I have an 8yr old that has been shooting a Franchi AL 48 youth 20ga for about two months. I cannot reload a light enough shell that will still eject and not affect his shooting. He does not complain about the recoil but i can tell it affects his shooting and the muzzle jump is considerable. I am thinking about switching to an OU for two main reasons: 1. Porting the barrel to reduce muzzle jump. 2. I can load a very light 7/8oz load that will be comfortable for him. I need advice on the porting issue, is it effective enough at reducing muzzle jump to go to the trouble? If so, should i only port one barrel or both?
    Thanks in advance, Joe.

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Porting won't do diddly especially with light loads.

jim brown

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

porting will do little or nothing for an 8yr old!

gun fit and balance/weight in his hands makes a way bigger differance

lite weight guns (as is the one you are using) will rear up

o/u's are heavier but seem to have more shoulder felt recoil

go buy a beretta 303 auto 20ga w/ 26in barrel-- get the stock to the right length--have the barrel gas ports opened to shoot lite loads-- darn hard to beat w/ great resale value--

wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The short barrels are the bigger issue with muzzle jump. Porting will only make them a lot louder and empty your wallet some more. Look for a longer barrel if he can handle the weight up front. Another problem you will have with porting it also adds reliability issues to gas operated autos and it sounds like you are already fighting that with the light loads. No way I would port that gun. Weight is your friend if he can handle it.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

LEB---The 48AL is a spring recoil system and the bbl comes back at him which could give him the sensation of recoil---That 48AL is a great hunting gun but hard to use for trap---The stock is also a hunting stock which also gives more recoil----I tried that gun on one of my grandsons and had the same result---
    I went to a Rem 1100 20ga and the kid can really break tgt's----you can find a 1100 pretty reasonable on the wanted area on TSs----Give it a try---JMO---
    George@SJB

6. Leb

Leb Member

All,
    Thanks for your opinions and advice. I was not suggesting porting the Franchi, but rather a new OU.
    I had another thought....i have heard of cutting off several coils off of the recoil/action spring on a berreta so it would cycle light loads.....why would this not work also on the Franchi???

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

LEB---Did you try turning the tube ring around----I have the diagram for the right way to use the ring for light loads---George

8. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Whoa! Go to the 3/4 ounce 20 ga. load, no porting needed.....ever. The kid is only 8; cheese, give him a chance to grow some more. If he can handle the gun, then hand ejecting the empty shell after firing is not a big deal, .....or is it?.... Then he is too small to handle the shotgun....porting WILL NOT HELP.

The 1100 20 gauge is a good suggestion......how about the 28 gauge with it's 3/4 launch load, yep pretty effective. So, the deal IMHO, would be the 1100 20 gauge, with 3/4 ounce load....move to the 7/8 ounce load when he can handle it and then the light 3/4, 7/8 and 1 ounce in a 12 gauge (different gun needed) load in a few short years. Have fun helping him enjoy the sport. You're a lucky man.

Ernie.....in AZ.

9. Leb

Leb Member

Yes, Sir, I been reloading the 3/4 oz loads and light 7/8oz loads and he loves them both, but the hand ejecting gets old for him after a little while. I don't want to get an 1100 and get into the same issue of not ejecting the light 7/8 oz loads or will normally cycle a lighter load? I like the idea of the 391 with the opened gas ports. Can it be done so that the gun will reliably eject a light 7/8oz load such as 7/8 oz - 12.9 gr International- sts hull- CB-1078 wad?
    Thanks, Joe.

10. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Joe,.....1100 20's are designed to eject 7/8 20 gauge loads as are the beretta.'s. I go back to your first post....he's only 8. Help him to shoot the targets he see's now and move him into a bigger action and load when he is physically able to handle it. Can't rush some stuff ....just my opinion.

Ernie ....in AZ

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The loud report from porting will do more harm than good. Is his objection to hand cycling the small handle? Would a fingerless glove on that hand help with the hand cycling issue?

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gun fit first, soft recoil pad with proper pitch, may need to pull the gun in tighter which reduces felt recoil and controls muzzle jump; which in turn takes the arms out of the equation forcing the lower body into gun movement making for a smooth move to the target. Bringing the gun in tightly making it one with you holds true with any gun regardless of barrel length or gun type.

I'm in favor of shortened break open guns mainly BT 99's as they're simple, light enough for a youth and women to handle and can be ,loaded with any light load.

Porting has a place but would be the last improvement behind an adjustable comb, a good recoil reducer and a well fitted stock.

Surfer

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put an eight ounce weight in the magazine tube and an eight ounce weight in the butt stock of a gas operated semi auto like a Remington 1100 and your recoil problem will disappear. HMB

14. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

Joe,
    I have had the same struggle. The 20's are hard to reduce the recoil. I have tried light 3\4 loads and break action guns. The light gun weight is the issue in my mind. They still kick. I have not spent the dollars on the recoil reducing stock. Instead I went up to 12 ga and a gas action like the 1100 or 390. IN a 26 in barrel and a cut down stock the kids smoke clays with a 7\8 reload that ejects.
    But I have to wait for them to grow a bit to be able to hold the weight up. Most are 12 to 14 and are strong enough.
    I wish I had a fits all answer but I watch for it on threads like this. Every kid grows at a different speed. Some take a couple of years to get big enough. Its worth the wait.
    I would look hard at the gas action 20 and getting a spring that works with the lightest load. That set up can be put back to original when the growth spurt occurs and you are moving up to the 12.
    Bob

15. Leb

Leb Member

All,
    Thanks for all of your insight and advice.
    Bob,
    I agree with your thoughts, but i need to find something that will fit and work for him now. He is eager to shoot and for an 8yr shoots well, broke 15 of 25(skeet) a couple of days ago, so i don't want to lose his momentum. I just have to keep working until i get the correct combination of load and gun. I am afraid at this point I am stuck with a light gun because he is so small, so i now have to get the recoil down. I am going try and cut down the action spring on his Franchi bit by bit an see if i can get it to eject my light reloads, worst case scenario it costs me a $10 spring.

Thanks,
    Joe

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Leb---Not sure but trying to find a spring for the 48AL may be tough---Check before you cut---JMO---George

17. Leb

Leb Member

George,
    I found one on-line before i started cutting.

I started the clipping process today and here are the results with me shooting the gun:
    5-coils - no change
    8-coils- started ejecting the light load, 12.8 gr International powder perfectly

With my 8yr old shooing:
    8-coils - no eject all the way to 18 coils no eject!

I stopped there. I decided what was occuring is that because of his small size, about 4' and 60-lbs there just was not enough mass behind the gun and that the main recoil spring on the magazine tube was strong enough to absorb all of the recoil and not allow the action to cycle with the light load, therefore no matter how coils i took off of the action spring the gun was not going to cycle for him wiht the lighter load. I bumped back up to the next grain weight load(14grains International) and it cycles perfectly. I am going to try a 13.4 grains and see if that will cycle. This problem should resolve itself as he gains weight and strenght.

Any additional ideas or thoughts?

Joe

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The solution to your problems is a gas operated auto loader. HMB

19. Leb

Leb Member

HMB, you may be correct.

20. KL

KL TS Member

Had the same recoil problem with a 10 year old(when he started). Especially with O/Us. Solved it with a 11-87 Youth Model 20 gauge, has short stock with capability to lengthen with growth. Shooting 21/2-7/8. Kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.