1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Porting by Mike Orlen - anyone ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has had a barrel ported by Mike Orlen ... and what you thought of the work ? Thinking of doing the barrel(s) on my 30" Citori doubles gun. Thanks, Brian

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Save the money. Porting only makes the gun louder and is a PIA to clean.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

blusky,

What do you hope to gain by porting your barrels?

Honestly, I would save your money.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I am paying for porting (which I do think helps lower the perceived recoil and reduces fatique- because it prevents as much muzzle rise) I would use only Angle Port or Briley or Pro Port (by magna port)- just because I like their designs and because of later marketability.

Why save a few bucks on this?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Since I do not know Mike Orlen, I cannot comment on his work. Does he use EDM or what??? I send mine to Pro Port. I would not shoot a Shotgun without porting, I even have my 20 gauge skeet gun ported.
    Don

6. hkg3k

hkg3k Member

Hey Brian,

Just a slight correction......it's "Orlen," not "Olsen." Mike Orlen does VERY nice bbl work at crazy reasonable prices. I just got back from him a Super-X 1 bbl he did a superb job of extending the forcing cone and installing choke tubes. Mike is my goto guy for this type of work.

Having said that, I had him port a bbl some years ago and if he still ports bbls the same way, he simply drills a pattern of small (round) holes as his porting configuration. The holes were properly placed and symetrical, but not some of the "fancy" porting patterns and cuts as seen by others today. Also, with the holes being drilled and not EDM'd, you can feel the slightly raised perimeter around the holes that drilling produces......something impossible to address unless you plan to refinish the bbls. That may matter to some, not to others. EDM produces a clean smooth hole.

I don't want to give the impression it was a poor job, just that his porting is basic and not quite as "fancy" as the methods others out there are using. Were I looking to have a set of bbls ported, ProPort would be my choice. Yes, they're more expensive, but the EDM process they use make beautiful clean, cuts and patterns in the bbl.

HTH

7. bluskyshooter

HTH - thanks for the name correction (sorry Mike) and the info provided. My plan is to send Mike a 1981 30" Citori trap I just purchased. I want to have thin-wall chokes installed. Also, while he has the barrel in his shop - I am considering having the forcing cones lengthened .. and maybe porting the bottom barrel. The porting would be to help reduce 1st shot muzzle rise - since this is a doubles gun. But, I am fussy about the porting quality (and am familiar with EDM machining) ... and would want the porting done by EDM - not drilling.
    thanks again, Brian

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't be a sucker. You will destroy the value of the gun and gain nothing.

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I would never get a shotgun barrel ported again but the one time I had it done by Pro-port they did an excellent job. I was even more impressed with the quality job they did lengthening the forcing cone on the same barrel (for a Browning Glod Fusion).

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would also get both barrels ported- if it is going to decrease muzzle rize for the first shot it will for the second as well

Decreasing the fatique affect over a days shooting

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've shot 20k rounds out of my ported O/U and I dont' think porting does squat...could have bought some ammo or some good single malt for the $$'s I wasted on it....

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I personally would do a little more research to the effects of porting both performance and resale value. From what I have read and anyone who knows trap guns say it will diminish the value of your gun. The performance is negligible and the amount is cost I am not sure it's worth the effort to have it done with what you might get out of it.

I only have porting on my BT100 because it came factory that way.

Bryan

Oh, just like Matt said. There will be some nay sayers, but it's your money and your gun.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

it kicks resale down a bunch with some buyers and I belive you'll not be allowed to shoot bunker with a ported gun in some locations...

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Go buy another Citori like you have now and compare them both. I did. Couldn't tell the difference except the ported citori was louder.
    Todd

15. bluskyshooter

OK OK .... I have heard enough to probably persuade me NOT to do the porting. I am looking to improve at doubles ... and thought if the porting would help me get on the 2nd bird easier ... then it would be worth it. But, it sounds like experience is saying otherwise. Plus, it is a pain to clean a ported barrel ... darn Hoppes liquid gets all over the benchtop when brushing down the inside of the barrel. Thanks, Brian

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon...

I love ported barrels. They pi$$ off the anal old guys who feel they need to spend what's left of their lives telling other people how they should live theirs; it distracts them so bad that their shooting just goes all to he££ and you can beat them shootin' with one hand!

MK

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If you wnat the best porting i have ever seen or witnessed go with Lazer Port out of California. No porting i have ever seen actually quiets the gun down like Lazer Porting does. It is an EDM process and looks very sleek compared to other porting jobs. He also does an outstanding job on forcing cones. His name is Bill and the last name escapes me. And for the record i am not a ported barrel fan but his is the best io have seen or shot.

18. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

If its not pro-port or magna porting doing the work its only drilling holes into your barrel. I had my wifes BT99 done by pro port for $100 + s/h well worth it. It does stop muzzel from jummping around and perceived recoil is lightened.

Jason in PA

19. bluskyshooter

MK - that there was funny ! But ya gotta love the old guys.

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

mike's a great guy. he does great work at a great price and very quickly. he's worked on two guns for me, including porting on one. sure wish i could undo those holes. damn.

anyway, somebody out there has something called a shark fin edm port. i think it's the latest in electric discharge machine porting design. you don't want holes, you want angled ports. and these fins are almost unnoticeable. check it out. good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun lazer porting in canada

mike orlen barrell work