1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel porting annoyance?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I've read that shooting with people using ported barrels is annoying because of the noise. I haven't found that to be true. But I do have ports on my shotgun-- it just came with it, I didn't particularly want the feature. But I don't like the idea of my being annoying to other shooters either. What's the verdict on porting and noise?

2. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

my skeet gun is ported(smith & Wesson super skeet) everybody I shoot with says its obnoxiously loud, I dont here it though.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If someone is being bothered by the noise of somebody elses ported gun then 1)Their hearing protection is way inadequate and 2) They need to practice on their concentration skills at blocking things out going on around them or they will rarely succeed in this or any other shooting sport

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ports are a pain in the ear, but more importantly they tend to splatter debris at those standing next to you. IMHO they are not effective at reducing recoil, so why bother unless it's the first bbl. of doubles where one may get a slight reduction in muzzle jump?

Buz

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ditto Buz.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I got a two used K-80's. Both were ported by the previous owners.

I cannot tell if the noise is annoying. The only complaints I get is when I run 25 and my shooting buddy has to buy me a Coke.

Do NOT sweat stuff like this.

Porting may be a waste of money (I honestly do not know), but if the gun shoots well smile and be happy.

I shoot next to ported guns and I am not bothered at all. I have walked off the line only once - and that was due to a guy shooting a 391 without a shell catcher or deflector. Now that IS annoying.

Don

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Porting is a gimmick....just like the side blinders for a barrel to prevent crossfiring....

P.T Barnum had it right!

Curt

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I've been stung by blasted-out porting residue several times and have also thought most ported guns were obnoxiously loud. (Some are far worse than others).

So, I should just concentrate better? And when I shoot with an inconsiderate jerk who starts walking after his last shot on a post, but before my last shot, no problem? I shouldn't ask him to stand still for cripe's sake, I should just concentrate better?

Baloney! Same for getting stung by some guy's dirty porting or deafened right through my earplugs by his badly done porting job. (Or even basement drill-press porting job, I've encountered a few and talk about LOUD!). Porting IS a distraction, and I'm doubtful as to any benefits.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    CalvinMD, are you kidding? Hearing protection? You'll NEVER convince a lot of trapshooters to wear ear or eye protection. My club recommends it (but alas, does not make it mandatory). Some of the "old guys" won't wear either, and then whine about getting hit by particles from ports and how loud ports are. I notice they're also the ones who talk too loudly behind the line. Little wonder why.

As for shotgun porting being a gimmick, porting works. A bit. If you have enough of them. And if they're far enough back to do any good before the momentum of the gun overcomes the relatively low pressure of shotguns. Frankly I don't see it being worth the effort.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have mandatory eye and ear protection at our club. No got, no shoot.

Ports don't bother me. Debris from the next door guy don't fly backward at me either.

I guess I'm just deprived, nothing to whine about.

HM

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Questor........Not to worry! Porting is an excellent thing! Other guys are just jealous they don't have it, so, what do they do? Why, they come up with crap that its to loud.....hogwash!

12. letts

letts TS Member

We have mandatory eye and ear protection at our club. No got, no shoot. If you are distracted by the noise, Maybe you need better ear protection. It is availible. Once I was hit by debris assumed to be from a ported barrel, I do think it would have hurt my eye "IF" it had hit my eye, But, thats what the eye protection is for

LOL Letts

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Quality porting does work. At our annual State SCTP Championship, a Ballistic Specialties franchisee, Richard Patty (a GREAT guy), comes to our shoot and ports firearms with the Angleport machines.

The kids will shoot in the morning, get their gun ported at lunch, and go back to the line that afternoon with the same ammo. They will smile and tell Dad "thanks, the gun doen't kick as much".

The kids don't lie, don't read the hype, so are honest in their opinion.

I prefer Angleport over any aftermarket porting. Most gunmaker's factory porting works well, too.

If your firearm DOES spit out the ports, lapping the (non chrome) bore with fine steel wool wrapped around a worn bore brush on a rod chucked in a drill will help.

14. targetshooter

targetshooter Member

If you can tell the diffrence between a loud gun and a louder gun where is your consintration at? if the sport is to loud might i suggest badmitten.Shotgun sports are loud good protective gear should help and yes my guns are ported as are my friends that i shoot with.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the above poster. When I am focused on the game, I often do not hear the other shooters firearms, let alone their calls.

If I set up a trap load with Unique, I know my gun makes more noise than a light load. Many, if not most new tournament guns are ported. One MUST wear hearing and eye protection on any firing line.

As an Intl' Rifle Coach as well as Shotgun, even when on a line with AIR RIFLES, one must still wear hearing and eye protection. Common sense rules are for good reason!

16. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

Flames coming out of the ports are awsome at night shoots
    plus that's gotta hurt with no ear protection those guys are probably
    mostly deaf to begin with

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm just curious...the guys that got hit by debris'spit" from the porting of a squadmates gun....was it from a foctory or professionslly ported gun...or a garage gunsmith job done in a vice with a drill... I'm a dedicated Browning shooter with almost all having come from the factory pre-ported..and although a little louder (although I can't tell)I've never been commented to that anything was ever felt by my neighbors having come from my porting....oh and yes, a semi with no catcher is agonizing to shoot next to and I can't concentrate with that going on either.

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Any noise coming out of the ports is just noise subtracted from the muzzle, so...no net gain.
    I don't notice any difference shooting beside ported barrels than from shooting beside non-ported barrels. I say that not knowing for certain if I've ever shot beside a ported barrel...also not knowing for certain if I've ever shot beside non-ported barrels....BUT, I'd have to assume I've shot beside both, since about half the guns on the racks at the clubs where I shoot are ported.
    I.e., I can't tell the difference.
    PS I'm a retired Aerospace Engineer, too, but that doesn't mean my calculations are any more accurate than yours. Recoil depends on three things: mass of ejecta, velocity of ejecta, and mass of the shotgun.
    Lengthened forcing cones, choke constriction, ports, barrel length, etc. do not enter into any equation. I'd like to see the calculations done by Seehase and the numbers he used and where he got them.
    Since there is no free lunch, if porting reduces recoil, it does so by reducing velocity. I see no other way.

19. old school

old school TS Member

FOR CALVIN MD I AGREE WITH YOU. I SHOOT A CUTTS CHOKE GUN WHEN THEY SAY SOMTHING I TELL THEM THEY NEED EAR PLUGS.JIM

20. finger

finger TS Member

I shot right behind an 1100 with a Cutts for several years. When he was shooting stations 1 and 7 I had to cover the near ear to avoid the extra loud muzzle blast. Never have to do that with normal porting. Cutts were all the rage many years ago. I can understand why they were banned from trap if the Cutts guy was a yard or two behind the guy on the next hc post. 16 yard or doubles your ear protection should do it. bob finger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.