1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel pitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tonygrz, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Have a chance to purchase an AYA shotgun but there is some pitting in the barrels. How does the pitting affect the shot pattern???

Thanks for your replies.

Tony G (tx)

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If its not in the choke area, you should be OK.

3. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Don't sweat the pits. They can be polished out but probably don't need to be. If you like it and the price is right, buy it. Paul Bobby

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

FWIW Dept. I bought a 100 year old Parker 16ga a few years back because I wanted one and the price was right. The barrels were moderately pitted but the gun was sound and the shop I bought it from is well known by me. I took it to a gentleman who's well known for shotgun knowledge to get his opinion on my purchase. Here's what he told me. Back in the early part of the 1900's it was believed that a slightly pitted barrel would give you better patterns by slowing down the fiber wads used back then. He said it was quite common for new owners to try and speed the pitting process using different methods including peeing down their barrels. He also said the pitting in my barrels would not affect my shooting the gun using proper loads.
    Just something I'm passing along from my experience.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pitting is rust spots, metals cancer so to speak. Unless all rust is removed it will continue eating away at the host internally, even if you keep the rust covered with oil. The same thing happens to a rust spot on a vehicle that's not removed properly and covered with primer and paint! It will be back eventually! Polish out all the rust and enjoy the gun.

Hap

6. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy the AYA and enjoy it hunting dove and quail.

Thanks again,

Tony G (tx)

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

it doesn't affect the way it shoots to my knowledge, but it will be hard to sell if you don't have it polished out.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pitting in a shotgun barrel

does a pitted shotgun barrel affect pattening

pitted shotgun barrels

pitting in shotgun barrels

shooting gun with pitted barrel

shotgun barrel pitting