1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel or gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynasty, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynasty

dynasty TS Member

Right now I'm using a mx15 for singles and handicap. I want to get either a barrel for the perazzi or just get a whole new gun for doubles. What would you do? If I were to get a new gun it would probably be a beretta 682 or something like, right around the price of the barrel. Just don't know what to do. Thanks

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use my TMX for Singles and Handicap and an MX-3 for Doubles. I don't want a combo gun because I don't want to fiddle with an adjustable comb for a different POI when I shoot Doubles. My Doubles gun shoots flatter than my TMX and I could use it if necessary but I haven't needed a backup gun in 20 years of shooting. I have thought about picking up a single barrel for the MX-3 but if I ever found one I would probably send my MX-3 receiver to Gun Dr. Doug Braker and have the barrel lugs on the single barrel welded up to match the O/U barrels so the top lever would still be way to the right like it is now. A combo might wear the locking block and barrel lugs evenly if both barrel sets get used the same amount of time.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as a consideration ....

What if you purchase an O/U barrel for doubles and you have a receiver problem arise with your gun ... dude unless ya got a backup gun your shootin is done for til ya get it fixed.

Well my suggestion is to get another gun for doubles and also have that one as a backup gun for those times that might arise you need to have a second gun. An O/U for doubles can be used in a pinch for singles and handicaps if needed.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I was faced with a similiar problem when I bought my MX-15. I solved the problem with an older MX-8 O/U barrel that had a step rib on it. It was a type 3 barrel that was fitted to my MX-15. I didn't have to change anything when I switched from one barrel to the other. I am a big fan of shooting a combo gun rather than two different guns. I prefer that my triggers are the same, and that the gun fits me the same way no matter which barrel I'm shooting.....Just my preference.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. mustache

mustache TS Member

Dynasty, I also shoot an MX15 for singles and caps. The gun was a perfect fit right out of the box. No reason to mess with success using a different gun for doubles. Haven't tried doubles yet but will look for an MX series O/U barrel and dbl trigger when the time comes. It's like buying a combo in two payments. Hank

6. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

GET THE BARREL - thats what i did works fine!!!
    Mr. Marcy

7. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Dynasty, Sell your P gun and buy 2 Beretta 391's. Shoot 1 for Singles and Handicap and the other for Doubles. Guaranteed to solve all your problems.
    Maybe you should buy 3 beretta 391's so you will have a spare since you are
    used to failures with that P gun.

8. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

LAB - wat the hell are u talkin about - i could ware out a 391 before i even broke in a perazzi! IN fact I've done! 391 are good guns but when u shoot 400-500 rounds through them in a day my rib warped on me! Now with my MX15 that i have just broke in I can do that easily!!!
    Mr. Marcy

9. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Mr. Marcy, I am not saying that the beretta 391's don't break. I have 2 of them
    and they do malfunction if you don't maintain them. I have also seen a few P guns that have been shot soo much that the checkering has been worn off the stock and forearm. With all that said, It has been my experience in my shooting years that P guns do break. Maybe it has something to do with the owners shooting them 400-500 rounds in a day.

10. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Hey i pratice a couple days a week for a couple of hours - a case from 16 yrd line and a case from the 27 - its not that bad, just pisses the Mrs. off! Ya i know what ur talkin about the checkering has rubbed off my MX15. But other than that nothing has gone bad with it!
    Mr. Marcy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.