1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel olf the future

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Palos shooter, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

This is a hastings barrel for a quiet zone..no ear plugs required,,It is used to shoot geese on the golf coures around here where there is a noise limitation..Quieter then a air rifle,,Not to bad at the skeet field..Takes a few shots to get used to,,Made out of aluminum and uses the beretta standard chokes..About 10 shots and it feels like your are in the zone..

2. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

cooooooooool....... I want one

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

With a barrel that long the shooter doesn't need eye protection it seems.

4. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

wait is the barrel really that long ? im confused

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Hastings went out of business.

6. Palos shooter

Barrel extension is Hastings part # 1387LPB-04 and is very quiet..no eye protection, as I was at a christmas party and and just was looking at the guys shooting this quiet barrel and had to try it out for myself..If you use sub sonic shells you cannot hear this at all..Anything under the sound barrier..or the speed of sound..It is just a little barrel heavy..I wish I had some time to try it at the trap field..It would be a nice handicap gun..

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Apparently Brezny still has a couple of varieties available & in stock.

I've played with them a couple of times ... pretty fun.

Bob

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get one Tony. As fast as you shoot you wont even need to pull the trigger, just knockem' down.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Very poor image to put up with no eye protection, not only that but that is rediculous. It can't reduce the noise a whole lot or the BATF would classify it as a silencer and you would have to go thru the class 3 business and pay for a $200 tax stamp if it was even legal in your state. They have a number in db's that if an attachment reduces the sound more than it is a silencer as far as they are concerned. I've not see or heard one but if it makes the shotgun quiet enough not to need ear protection I forsee problems.

I wonder how much stress that puts on the threads and barrel after long time use. Talk about compensation.....

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote: <i>"It can't reduce the noise a whole lot or the BATF would classify it as a silencer and you would have to go thru the class 3 business and pay for a $200 tax stamp if it was even legal in your state. They have a number in db's that if an attachment reduces the sound more than it is a silencer as far as they are concerned. I've not see or heard one but if it makes the shotgun quiet enough not to need ear protection I forsee problems."</i>

First, under the 1934 National Firearms Act, a suppressor is defined by BATF as "any device which is attachable to a portable firearm, and is designed to reduce the audible "report" by any measurable amount". This is a direct quote from BATF publication 5300.1 (5-84).

Therefore, it is incorrect to state that BATF has a db threshold because their criteria is "any measurable amount".

As for the Metro Barrel not being a suppressor, BATF classified it as a "barrel extension", because it had no internal parts that facilitated suppression of the report. This flies in the face of their definition of "any device". Apparently it's now "any device other than a Metro Barrel".

I don't call it a "barrel extension". I call it what it is - a suppressor.

11. Palos shooter

If you shoot sub sonic shells and they are slow enough that you do not break the sound barrier they are quiet..did you ever shoot Remington sub sonic 22 shells squrrel hunting with a bolt action..almost no noise,,The noist comes when you break the sound barrier.. As for the glasses I was at a club christmas party and didn't have them with me..My mistake..But I did want to try out the barrel..It is a Hastings Barrel with a Part # so I am sure it was legal..

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"Hastings went out of business."

I guess that would make the correct title of this thread "Barrel of the Past" LOL

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Once went to watch a show by Tom Knapp. About half way through the show, he pulled out a big tube and began screwing it into the end of his gun while he explained exactly what it was. He then proceeded to throw a couple of clays up into the air and turn them to dust with his nearly silent "barrel extension". I was impressed at how much of a difference it made. Not only was it impressive, but amusing watching him swing his 10 foot gun around. Josh

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nothing new about the concept. That's type of barrel has been used in the Mpl-St.Paul metro are for shooting geese in residential areas for many years.

15. willing

willing Member

I agree that there is a crack when the sound barrier is broken, but my .45 at 750-800fps makes a little noise.

Bill

16. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Eye protection is important on the skeet field regardless of barrel length because the most likely thing to damage your eyes are pieces of broken targets.

I have been hit several times by pieces of targets as well as shot that bounced off a target. One of our guys had a shot imbedded in the skin, so it in known to happen in skeet.

I would think that it would be a lot less likely on the trap line.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Palos shooter- Nice photo, but the front sight visible around 30 inches from the chamber sort of makes me question things. Isn't it odd that the very long barrel changes color to match the trim on the skeet house just beyond the front sight?

Pat Ireland

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I predict the barrels of the future will have laser plugs permanently installed as guns that fire real shells/bullets etc will long ago been baned and illegal.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hey, ask your trap loader if he can find me some chicks.

HM

20. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Probably just took a painted broomstick handle and shoved it in the barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.