1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel mounted camera question????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Was watching an shooter the other day on television and he had a camera mounted on the barrel, and what looked like a recorder on his belt. Does anyone know the particulars about this setup? Thought it would be interesting to try this.

Thanks, Gne

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think it would be interesting too, but I've never tried it. There are small cameras available that you can mount on a helmet which would probably serve the same purpose. There is a name for these little cameras, but I can't remember what it is.

Anyway, if you find out any particulars on it, I'd appreciate your sharing it with us.

Thanks.

3. Burnpwdr

Burnpwdr TS Member

The outfit listed above sells a small remote camera system and various accessories that uses your existing camcorder. Might be worth a look.

Doug G.

4. IM390

IM390 Member

The method I saw a number of years ago, used an unside down periscope behind the receiver so the shooter and the camera saw the same thing. Otherwise a camera on a helmet sounds good.

PBS actually did that to a hawk to study how the bird changed it's wings once it spotted it's prey. It eventually took several digital cameras Super Glued to different parts of his body.

5. Barry

Barry Member

Maybe this would work?
    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73304.asp

6. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I was in a TV show this summer at a sporting clays range where I worked, and they mounted a camera on the gun I was shooting for a couple of shots. A base was velcroed (SP?) onto the side of the barrel, just in front of the forend (if I remember correctly). It was just a smaller camcorder (although it did add about a pound and a half or 2 pounds to the gun). It made shooting really hard because the velcro went over the rib and you really couldn't see where you were shooting. Either way, I'm not sure what you are looking to do with this, but if you're just looking to see where you're shooting, just find someone to stand behind you and tell you. That's much easier.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why not get a small pen type camera or a small camera that could fit inside the barrel and mount it in 2nd barrel of an O/U while shooting .... could really be a wacked out camera view.

8. trapshootin hippie

Lumper, that's a good idea. Where could I find one like that? That is what I'm trying to find out.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

I aint got no clue where to find one but I bet if you searched a little on google.com for spy gear and spy cameras and such you could find many of them out there.

10. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Well Lump .... The camera inside the bore on the extra barrel would only show you a target in the air and not the gun, rib or relationship of one to the other which I would assume would be more important information. Fiber optic cam lenses would easily attach and provide one with a "shooters eye view".

11. hoser

hoser Member

Here is what we did:

Mounted a pen camera under the barrel of my Perazzi about 2 inches back from the muzzle using a clamp from one of those weight sets for weighting a shotgun barrel. It worked perfectly.

Ran the small power lead to a sall power supply and video feed lead to a camcorder that also had video input/output. We ran the video output to a small TV set.

Off of a rest, we aimed at the pattern board, and placed a grease pencil mark on the TV screen where the center of the aiming mark was. We figured that's where we're AIMING.

So now, we dragged all that stuff out to post 3 and set it up again.

This time we shot at about 25 targets with the camcorder recording the output from the pen camera.

The grease pencil mark showed where the gun was pointing. If the target was lost, we knew what had happened.

At least I found out I was shooting over most of the targets I missed. A light crisp trigger job soved that problem.

Problems we found...The cheap pen cameras $30 for the one I found on e-bay) are too wide angle for precision analysis.

The tiny lens came loose after 20 shots or so. Super glue fixed that.

When the gun goes off, the muzzle seems to jump back, then jump upward.

HoséR

12. trapshootin hippie

I sent an email to the extremerecall company outlining what I am looking for. Maybe they will have what I need. I will keep ya posted if I find out anything, thanks all.
    Gne

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Heres another site you may want to take a peek at also? Hap

14. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

For those interested why not just pick up an eye cam. Click on the URL, this might be what your looking for.

>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel mounted wifi cameras