1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Modifications

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ultramag338, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

O.K. All you trap buffs I want to know if Backboring, forcing cones and porting make a better barrel? I have a ful choke 870 barrel that breaks them hard I want to help with recoil and pattern will this $350 plus make a better barrel. I would like your imput. Thanks in advance. Corey

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It will make your wallet thinner and lighter. Place your thinner and lighter wallet under your shirt on your shoulder. This will help with the recoil.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Put a Precision stock on or do that Clyde slide thing. There are others but these devices tame guns much more than any barrel work.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Precision barrel work could help a bit with the pattern but will not do anything for recoil. Almost anyone can ream out a forcing cone, but few can do precision barrel work.

Pat Ireland

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Gracoil,Rad,PFS if one made or similar device is money wiser spent for recoil. And they work and you will feel the difference. I had a Winchester Select Energy that absoutly hammered me. Put a Gracoil on it and made it shootable. Jake

6. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Start playing with lighter shot weight and or slower shot speeds.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

iltramag338, I've had six barrels worked on by barrel smiths for various reasons.

Here is my suggestion. If there is nothing wrong with how straight your barrel shoots, and nothing wrong with the pattern percentages and evenness it gives, then don't have the barrel done.

As far as forcing cones reducing felt recoil, maybe. I had the forcing cones lengthened on my Superposed. It had .722" bores and beat the snot our of me. The lengthened cones definitely helped reduce perceived recoil.

My Beretta barrels came with longer forcing cones and .732" bores. They were very pleasant to shoot.

My MX-15 barrel was done by Wilkinson. He enlarged the .724 bore to .740", lengthened the cones and worked the removable chokes. That barrel was the softest shooting I've ever owned.

My first set of Perazzi barrels, 35" unsingle and 32" O/U all shot and patterned beautifully. Recoil was "normal". Bores were .734.

My current set of barrels needed help in the pattern department. They started life as .734" bores. Allor enlarged the bores of the O/U to .740" and the unsingle to .745". He put the finest finish on the bores, cones and chokes I have ever seen. He did not lengthen the forcing cones. The barrels now pattern beautifully, but there was no reduction in felt recoil. In fact, I initially thought recoil was a touch worse. The new barrels seem to give 25fps more velocity with the same loads than my unmodified barrels gave. That would account for the non-reduction in recoil.

My take on all this is having the forcing cones lengthened (by someone who does good work) will significantly reduce felt recoil on small bore .722"~.726" barrels. It will reduce felt recoil on larger barrels, but not to the same extent. The larger the bore, the less forcing cone there is to start with, so the less improvement you get.

Enlarging the bore effectively reduces the size of the forcing cone, and that is what I think accounts for the reduction in felt recoil reported by "big bore" owners.

If I owned your barrel and wanted to reduce felt recoil, I'd send it to Seminole for their 5" forcing cone and terrific polishing job. It will run $75. That's better than $50 from someone who uses a hand drill and does a lousy job of finishing and polishing. Eyster will work your forcing cone, lengthening it and radius the cone/bore intersection. They do excellent work and you will notice a reduction in felt recoil. Allor will also do forcing cone only work. With hindsight, I wish I had asked him to do mine when he did the barrel work.

8. cockedwad

cockedwad TS Member

after trying everything,I think you should spend the 350 on a counter coil or similar recoil reducer.I can shoot 300 rounds w/mine w/little or no pain as compared to yellow -blue bruises and ice packs without one.some powders like american select can help alot too. hope this helps...

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had an 870 that kicked me pretty hard. It was a 3" chamber field gun and I put the steel magazine plug in it and that tamed it a lot. I have a soft comb a "stick on pad" on all my guns trap or field and I never get a sore cheek. You have to decide if the cost of barrel modifications is worth it for an 870 barrel.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

IF the barrel is doing its job.. Don't touch it.. If you're breaking them hard.. the stock fits fine.. all that's wrong is the recoil.. I would suggest Ken Rucker.. Bunpbuster.. and be done.. Period..

11. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Ultramag;

If you're happy with the choke on the 870 barrel, then don't mess with that part. However, there's a bit to be gained in softening the recoil by having
    the forcing cone lengthened to at least 3", followed by a good polishing job.
    This work will reduce the number of deformed shot pellets upon firing and will
    aid in maintaining more consistent velocities of your favorite loads. A properly done forcing cone job, combined with a slower burning powder will get
    rid of pressure spikes which tend to occur in barrels with very short cones.
    Remington 870 cones are more like ridges than cones!

As for effective recoil control, the best recoil buffer system on the market for 870's is the Mesa Tactical Recoil Stock assembly which includes the Enidne
    hydraulic buffer. This setup replaces your factory butt stock with a Mil-Spec
    AR-15 type pistol grip assembly which gives you better control of your gun
    along with 70 percent recoil reduction, as well as quick length of pull adjustment. The best part of this setup is a price of under $400.00 complete
    for a LEO or Low-Tube stock.(For barrel pointers) A High-Tube stock is available for scope and red dot sight users.(Like me.)

My 870 Tactical is real dream to shoot now since going to this setup. No sore
    shoulder and no sore cheek even after 400 rounds. Honestly, the gun feels like
    shooting a 2 3/4" .410! Forget about hokey add-on weights and mercury tubes
    in butt stocks. I don't think Precision Fit stocks are available for 870's and
    at over $1200.00 you'd be tossing money in the wind. I've tried numerous guns
    with these stocks and they don't feel as effective as the Mesa Tactical system.
    Check out their web site and decide for yourself.

Happy Blastin'

JJ Clarke

[​IMG]

12. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I have two MX-8s, as identical as I can make them, except that one was overbored and the other just as Mr. Perazzi made it. The only difference I can tell is that the side ribs, and a couple of times the top rib, on the overbored gun get loose and have to be re-soldered. I think that because the the barrels are thinner they get hotter and the solder deteriorates faster. They both pattern about the same and I can't tell any difference in recoil. I think the barrel modifications help between your ears and in the pocket of the guy that does them. Jim Pettengill

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I get a kick out of you experts that don't think choke work by the Eyster, Wilkinsen etc is worthwhile on a lot of guns?! Sometime, take a look at the ad by Wilkinsen that lists all of the All-Americans that use Wilkinsen! Do you really think they have the work done because it is "between their ears"!? I am not talking about recoil reduction, I am talking about improving patterns! However, I am having trouble justifying putting $400 work into a $400 gun?! Tom Rhoads

14. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

G'Day tcr1146;

I fully agree that the work done by a fine barrel-smith is a must on a great many guns out there, both high-end and low buck. As a long time gunsmith and
    gearhead, I love fine work when it comes to making any project right. When it
    comes to trap shooting, combat shooting or hunting, I use a pump gun, usually
    an 870. They're easy to tune and there's a huge aftermarket of goodies for them. With a little research and careful application of gunsmithin' it's
    not too difficult to turn a run-o-the mill gun into a sweet shooting joy.

I like building up plain jane "Shell shuckin' " guns to piss off the unknowing,
    high roller types!

Oh yeah, I'm just putting the final touches on my Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag.
    It started out as a 300.00 gun!

Here a pic of the wee beasty. I'm waiting for my Hy Viz sights to show up. Now I have to tune up the trigger assembly and do some mods to speed up the lock time a bit. Oh, the fun of tinkerin'!

Happy Blastin'

JJ Clarke

[​IMG]

15. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

I now say recoil is not any issue i shoot a 870 TC with a Sietz barrel I just was wondering if barrel mods would make a better STOCK TB barrel as a back up. I love smoke... Love the posts to see other opinions, not a fisher I think if not broke dont fix but always looking for the EDGE. I think we all agree. I have a Ken Rucker on my shooter and I must say AWESOME I know that will fix the recoil issue just wondering can you make a better barrel?????? Corey

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wilkinson can. No doubt about it. He gets more pellets into the pattern, with even distribution. HMB

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Neil Winston's comaprison bbl is a stock 30" 870 FC. He must be off shootin.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

tcr1146, I know two "biggest dawgs" who sent their brand new barrels/guns to Wilkinson for work before they were fired for the first time. That's definitely "between your ears" stuff. It removes a potential question mark. That coupled with premium ammo means they don't have to worry about it. It's not the gun. It's not the ammo. It's all them. All of the big three smiths do barrel work that will give you that peace of mind if you want it. For Perazzi trigger work, Allor stands head and shoulders above the others.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Tom Rhoads , The listing of All-Americans is nothing but advertisement. Can you list some numbers on before and after pattern improvement? More pellets in the pattern? I think better advertisement would be listing the amount of improvement done to these All-American's guns. Why is it I NEVER see this? Why is it no one EVER provides this information. All I ever hear is subjective stuff like how much harder so and so broke the targets after the work was done. I am not saying they don't provide the improvement stated, I would just like to see some numbers to back up these claims.

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

A well-known shooter who uses X-brand aftermarket stuff and whose name appears in the X-brand ads proves only one thing: that mr/ms well-known shooter used that device/item at least once (probably). Doesn't prove that the X-brand device is the best, or even if it is good...just that Mr. WKS used it.
    Remember Al Unser saying he used Slick 50? This was before it was shown that Slick 50 did absolutely zilch in an engine.
    Advertizing is many things, but completely truthful isn't one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 barrel modifacation

barrel modifications

unsingle modifications