1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARREL LIFE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Same with AA fuelers ... engine life is about 2 minutes before it is junk.

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That was an interesting read. I never really thought about it.

Of course this is a shotgun site and when you talk about the longevity of a smooth bore, it's forever. ;)

3. slodsm

slodsm Member

When you look at it that way, I spent 1500 bucks on a range toy last year for 6 seconds worth of fun......

A fool and his money I suppose.....

Jeremy

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Varminters say: "Happiness is a hot barrel"...life at what MOA? Or, better put, what is the MOA after 3000 rounds?

Years ago, I thought ceramics and composites would save the day re. engines and guns and stuff..

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MOA

Mall of America?

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

Interesting article.

A few other facts to keep in mind is mileage will vary a lot by the particular round the barrel is chambered for too.

For instance a 222 or 223 will last a long long time (several thousands of rounds) versus say the wildcat cartridge the 264 winchester short mag( the 270 WSM necked down to shoot 264 bullets) those will be toast in a little less than 1000 shots due to the fast twist rate and long bullets that get pushed through them.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Jack,

MOA = Minute of Angle

If you talked about how good your gun was by saying, "I can shoot 1/2" groups with my rifle." The very next question would have to be, "At what yardage?" By using the term MOA you eliminate the necessity of knowing what distance.

So, 1 MOA is about a 1" group at 100 yards, about 2" at 200 yards, 3" at 300 yards and so on. This of course goes the other way as well and 1 MOA is about 1/2" at 50 yards.

Therefore, if you have a really good gun, you can say that you have a 1/2 MOA gun and we know how small your gun is capable of grouping at any yardage.

8. racer

racer TS Member

Ahab- years ago I read an article around how many revolutions a top fuel motor actually made before it was junk. I think it was around 7500 revolutions. Think of it this way... start,idle for 10 seconds at 1800- burn out and back up etc etc.... not too many turns!

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

How does the "bullet-time-in-barrel calculations" apply to match rimfire barrels where the average velocity is 1,050 fps? Many of these guns have 50,000+ rounds through them and are very competitive. The more pressure, the more throat erosion. I think 22 rimfires are only around 20,000 psi where as the barrel burners are 60,000+

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If you run too many annie loads through your shotgun you will burn the forcing cone out. No, that's true. Honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.