1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel length?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrbuete, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrbuete

jrbuete TS Member

All things being equal, if I go from shooting trap with a 28 inch barrel to a 34 inch barrel can I expect to see a scoring increase?

Just curious:)

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's hard to be equal with 28" & 34". You're 6" closer to the bird with 34" barrel. :)

There're a lot of things needs to take into consideration for score increase. In this particular case, Barrel length is not critical, but weight distribution (balance) is.

From ballistic point of view, anything over 24" or so does not warrant any meaningful gain.

From gun balance point of view, 34" will definitely slow you down even with the same weight. This may or may not be an advantage to each individual.

Personally I tried everything from 26" to 34" O/Us, and 30" to 35" singles, I shoot 30" O/U best.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The important thing is the right POI and pattern size and pattern density. You won't know what the difference will be until you try it. HMB

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I once had a 36" barrel on a TM-1. What a shooter. Kind of like looking down a runway.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

White you are admiring the length of the barrel ... you will hear "Lost!" ... because you are looking at the barrel, instead of the bird!

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The difference between the 28 and 34 inch barrel at bird shooting distance doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Length alone won't break more birds!

I feel the major difference may lie in how well we pick up on the bead reference with our peripheral vision. Everyones vision is different in how well we see things in the periphery while maintaining an intense "look" "lock" on a moving target. Some eyes can see the bead best closer to the eyes, others can use a farther out bead and with some it doesn't matter a whit. Another reason for all sizes and colors of beads?

Hap

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Longer barrel, for me, means a smoother swing and makes it more difficult to stop the swing. I get real jerky with a short barrel.

Pat Ireland

9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

You can expect some changes, that may or may not result in a score change. Last year I switched to a KX 5 with 34". I had to modify my style to accomodate the longer barrel and changes in weight, balance and swing tendency.

I find that if I shoot too quickly, I miss. If I shoot more deliberately and slower,the gun hits more targets for me. I continue to work on trusting that (slower) method consistantly.

Obviously, for me, the 34" gun prefers not to be rushed.

js in PA

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I'll say your scores will go up. Mostly because you will have a new gun and want to shoot it a lot and get lost of practice and get better scores as a result. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

34 inch barrell length for trap shooting

barrel length for trap shooting

best length barrel for trap shooting

trap barrel length importnce

trap shooting barrel length