1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel length?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I presently shoot a bt-99 with a rad setup [recoil reduction]. It has a 32 inch barrel. I am strongly considering going to 34 inch barrel for the longer sight plane. This is going to involve buying a new or slightly used bt with a 34 inch and changing everything over and then selling the gun with the 32 inch eventually. I'm wondering if this is going to be worth the trouble. I shoot the 32 reasonably well right now, hitting 95 and 96's regularly with the occasional 97 and better. any thoughts on whether I should go for the change?
    Bill in MI

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

If you're doing it to get a longer sight plane, I'd say that is the wrong reason. It's not a rifle. Balance and handling are more important. Most seem to like the longer bbl, though. I had a 33" Ljutic, which I subsequently have sold, but honestly, I don't notice any difference that the bbl length makes. Now, if I were considering getting a gun other than a BT, I'd definitely get one with the 34" bbl just because it is much easier to sell later.

WNCRob

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bill in MI, spend that extra money on shells and shooting what you now have and you'll be much farther ahead in your shooting improvement department!!

Hap

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

As I was learning this game, I was indoctrinated into believing that "break open" guns were the best, that 34" barrels were unbeatable, and that the more money you spent on a gun = the more targets you would break. I have had no fewer than 10 really nice, and sometimes quite expensive trap guns of all lengths and description. Bottom line, you can't buy a target...your eyes and reflexes are the real key to breaking 100 targets in a row.

I have passed over some really nice 32" guns, strickly because it was not a 34". The one gun I really wish I had back was a 30" Citori Plus, with which I shot a 96 singles and I only paid $1000.00 for.

Keep the one you want and practice more. If you buy another gun it is because you want it and you have the money...not because you are buying a higher score. IMHO.

JON

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I must agree here on what the others have said. The 2 inch different sighting plane will do nothing for your scores unless you have your mind made up about needing a 34" barrel.

I shoot Beretta's mainly and my favorite trap barrel is a mobile choked 32" O/U. I shoot it much better than my 34" unsingle barrel. The weight of the 2 barrels is nearly identicle, the unsingle is a little lighter.

I'm 6'3" so longer barrels don't bother me.

Ultimatly the decission is yours.

ss

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks for the input guys. For now I'm convinced that I should keep what I've got and just keep shootin'.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.