1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel length

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jd288, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd288

jd288 TS Member

Will a 28in barrel as in a auto shoot as hard as a 34in breaking gun. Would the pattern be different in either gun as you move back or would they remain the same. Opinions please

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Here is the way the discussion generally goes...you get a better "sight" picture with a longer barrel; you get a better "swing" with a longer barrel: you get better "powder burn" with a longer barrel. Personally, I think the advances in choke tubes have really equaled out the barrel length issue regarding patterning. But, gun fit, balance, sight picture, swing are all factors to be considered. If the gun fits you and you are breaking targets, enjoy. When you reach the optimum, with that gun, that your eye sight and reactions will allow, you will have enough practice and experience to know if a longer barrel will "buy" you a few more targets. In other words, barrel length is just about at the bottom of your list of issues to be dealt with. IMHO!!!

JON

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Chiefjon is correct, but also with a 28 barrel auto loader, you have a receiver that is about 6 inches or longer with grooves running down the center. The way an auto loader is contructed, you have almost the same site radus as you would with a 34 inch barrell with a 3 in long reciever (top portion). The major difference between the two is the gun speed you will encounter. I have found long barrel break opens slower on the swing and little more forgiving when breaking targets as opposed to the the 28-30 inch autoloader which seems to have faster gun speed and can cause one to be somewhat "whippy." Deliberate shooting with practiced smooth swing can make all things equal.

Either gun with break the targets as long as the person behind the stock has everything together.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think the term "shoot hard" refers to shot velocity. The velocity difference between a 28 inch barrel and a 34 inch barrel is insignificant. As stated above, longer barrels tend to swing smoother and are more difficult to stop than short barrels. It is a little easier, at least theoretically, to see the front sight with a longer barrel, but we are not supposed to see it. We should see the bird, not the sight.

Pat Ireland

5. jd288

jd288 TS Member

Thanks for all the good info. on barrel length. Its good to get advice from people who really care about helping others. Shoot Well!!!!

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barfin, do you have any recommendations for a case for a semi-auto with a 32 and or a 34 inch barrel? 54s don't fit.

I've found the same thing as Barfin. Hap

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

don't let em fool ya size matters!

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

a semi auto with a 34 inch barrel? yer talking about 40 inches of sight plane. too long in my opinion. slayer in MI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.