1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel length

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I am contemplating a new gun. I already have an unsingle 34" barrel. My O/U is 32" and have an old Beretta O/U that is 30". All have screw in chokes. My question is this: Does it really matter what the length is (for trap) as my thinking is that tighter patterns can be had by using tighter chokes. Comments anyone?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The general trend is to longer barrels. You need to shoot different guns and barrel lengths to see what works best for you.

3. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Trap shooters have longer barrels.

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

There is no difference in performance.

Barrel length preference is driven primarily by fad. So mostly you just pick your fave fad. Hopefully that does not come in conflict w/ whatever dynamics you might be partial to.

good luck

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Get the 34 inch for the resale value. Bill

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barrel length is as much a function of your personal stature as anything, as well as the games you play with them.

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Different barrel lengths swing differently. I was rared on 34" barrel so that's what I shoot and like. He'll who knows, I mite shoot a shorter one better but never give it much thought. I think a shorter barrel mite benefit some in the doubles game expesually. Smaller not as strong people seem to do better shorter but the resale will take a hit with shorter barrels. Try to shoot them all before making a choice but if you can't go with the longer one as you can always sale it and get something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.