1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel length ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- Many guns with 30 inch barrels work very well. I would not want a barrel shorter than 30 inches for trap.

A longer barrel can give a smoother swing to the bird and make it more difficult to stop the swing. The slightly longer sight radius may, or may not be an advantage of a long barrel. A short barrel will not "shoot harder" than a long barrel. The question of barrel length has more to do with how the gun feels when mounted and the individuals physical strength than it does with the height of the person.

Of course, shooting a 28 or even a 26 inch barrel at trap is much better than not shooting trap because you do not have a longer barrel. And, to all others who might respond to this question. Please do not let this thread get into a bunch of off color remarks about barrel length.

Pat Ireland

2. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

The answer to the first part of your question is No, a longer barrel is not needed. A longer barrel may hinder your game if the additional weight causes you discomfort. If your shooting 200 singles in a day that little extra weight can wear you out. I have broke targets from the 27yd line with a 21 inch full choke,Remington 1100, but not consistantly. MIke

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What is comfortable. I shot a lot og guns 06 trying to decide what to get myself. I'm 5'8" also. Anything 34" I found myself always trying to get the barrel out of my way, best way to describe it. 32" compared to 30" the 30" just came up nice and settled in well. I shoot a 30" Ultra XT. I do not think longer barrels to exstend the sight radius is of any importance for shooting moving targets. I may be wrong?

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

it all has to do with gun weight and balance and not barrel length.

5. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

Barrel length was important in the old days with the slow burning powders. Modern powders all burn completely and easily within the first 18 inches of a barrel with modern powders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap barrel length importance