1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel length - women/smaller individuals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JAF1680, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAF1680

JAF1680 TS Member

Any smaller individuals (e.g. under 5'4") shoot 32" O/U barrels effectively?

How much does the extra 2" (30" vs. 32") change the balance point?

Does a higher rib add weight and significantly influence balance point?

Thanks,

Lisa

2. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Lisa - I am 5'4" and have had a similar question. I now shoot a 32" K-80 with the 10 - 6 mm rib for skeet/sporting clays and a BT-99 for trap. The answer is to try shooting the gun and find out what works for you. I am recoil sensitive and the heaver weight of the K-80 works for me at 32". Please be aware that the newer K-80s have gone to the 10-6 rib from the 12-8 about 4 years ago. That made a big difference. Blaser has lighter barrels that swing nicely, but the recoil is a little heavy for my liking. On a SBT like the BT-99 34" is not a problem. Billy

3. JAF1680

JAF1680 TS Member

Thank you both for your responses.

Gross Man: Would you say the 34" SBT swings similarly to the 32" O/U barrels?

I am 5'2" and currently shoot 30" barrels, and I am considering 32" for my next trap gun. I was thinking the longer barrels might have less muzzle jump for doubles and continental trap (and added resale should I change my mind).

I also wonder if there is a signicant difference between 30" with extended choke tubes and 32" in terms of balance and weight.

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Save your money. Longer bbls do not have less muzzle jump - HEAVIER bbls have less jump MAYBE depending on how the gun is stocked/fits.

Proper gunfit will cure more ills than bbl length knows about. Barrel length is meaningless - only weight, weight distribution, and gunfit have any effect on how the gun recoils.

I shoot 28" pigeon guns with pigeon loads and there is about no muzzle jump since the gun fits me. My wife, 5'3", similar gun/loads, has the same result.

Stupid long bbls are a fad that is just hilarious. Shoot a gun that works for you and worry about something important instead.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.