1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARREL LENGTH QUESTION??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BERETTASP, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BERETTASP

BERETTASP TS Member

I have just recently bought a Beretta Gold E O/U with a 30in barrel and I had been shooting a Beretta 686 with a 34in barrel. My question is, does the barrel length really matter? wheather it be on the 16's or handicap?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The only "matter" IMHO is how does it swing and otherwise feel and work for YOU.....Bob Dodd

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Only matters in the gun rack and when you close the car door on it.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Technically, longer barrels offer longer sighting planes though I doubt they actually lead to more accurate shooting as they would for rifles and pistols.

The main benefit of longer barrels is the extra weight they provide. More barrel weight allows smoother swings for those who can handle it and smoother swings DO lead to more accurate shooting.

Rollin

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Berettasp, you are in for a surprise if you shoot anything other than a flat shooting gun. The longer the barrel, the less space you see between the bead and the bird. The difference 4" makes in even a 70/30 gun is surprising. You are going to see a lot more daylight between the bead and the bird than you did with the 34" barrel. It's disconcerting at first, but you will quickly adjust.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A 30" barrel is too short to reach my toe without leaning over in an awkward posture when I'm resting between shots. I'm a pretty big tall guy at 6'1".

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.