1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel length in relation to body height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 525Shooter, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I am in the market for a new trap gun and was told that 32" barrels would be too long for me. Is there any relation to the length of a gun versus the height/reach of a person or is it just what feels right? I am 5'-9" with a LOP of 14 1/4". Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm 5'7" and shoot a 34". The longer the barrel the better. Faster speeds and more accurate sight plane. I'd have a 35" gun if I had the money.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

who told you this, Mickey Rooney? if this guy works in a gun shop, don't walk out, run!!
    steve

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Unless you have a serious problem with upper body strength, 32 inch barrels should feel very comfortable. The longer barrels, for most, will swing smoother and it is a little more difficult to stop their swing just as you pull the trigger.

Pat Ireland

5. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Try several guns with different length barrels and see what "feels" best to you.That will be the best choice.I shoot a 30" barreled Citori which was long back when I started shooting now they have 32" doubles and 34" single barreled combo's but I still like my 30" double better.A longer barrel can help your swing but could slow you down by having to get the extra weight moving and you may not like the balance of a longer barrel.Velocity of the shell will not be effected with a longer barrel.My thoughts.

6. clutey

clutey TS Member

I am anything but tall, 5'5", but I shoot a 682 Gold E with 32" barrels. I only mention the type of gun simply because this Beretta with 32" barrels is a very well balanced gun. I can handle it well swing it smoothly it suits me. That doesn't mean all guns with 32" barrels would feel the same, as already stated try different ones and find one that feels right. Your height really has little if anything to do with it.
    Clutey.....

7. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

[​IMG]

5'10" shooter.........80" barrel LOL

Shoot what feels good to you.

Ray

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Skeet - Wayne Mayes - short guy/long barrel=lots of 100's sounds like to me.

9. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

525shooter, I assume this was at Dick's or Walmart and the like! Now if you want a 32" and it feels good then just do it.

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

The 32" barrel in a break open gun should be fine for you, or a 34 would probably be fine too.

It is more a matter of upper body build and strength than height.

Now in skeet, I think the trend toward longer guns can present problems for shorter shooters if they are recreational shooters rather than serious competitors as there is a lot more movement of the gun and reversal of direction of the gun than in trap.

11. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I knew I could trust the great people on this forum!!

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

525Shooter,

If you feel like posting what town you reside in, maybe one of posters could help you find a reputable dealer in your area.

ss

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm 6'7" with 38" sleeve length. I like barrels that are long enough, so that when I place the muzzle on the pad between shots, I don't have to bend way over to place a fresh round in the chamber.

Ed Yanchok

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think it has anything to do with height- or size or strength

It has to do with

1. How much you shoot/ how good your skill set is- ie how well you get on the target line- if you make an error with a longer barrel- its harder to get back on line- you jerk around or lose visual contact

2. How well the gun fits you

Having said all of that- there are a lot of big guys that should be shooting shorter barrels because of the factors above but their egos get in the way.

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A kid on my team is in the 4th grade, 4 1/2 feet tall, he shoots a browning xt 32 inch barrels.. average is 21

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Your length of stock plays a role in this proper selection for you too. It's said, you'll shoot more consistently with a tad shorter rather than longer stock. Hap

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The barrel should be long enuf' to reach your toe without having to lean over uncomfortably.

John C. Saubak

18. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I think the issue is balance more than anything else. I am 5'4" with a 30 1/2 sleeve length. I don't have a strength issue and am fairly solid. I shoot a BT-99 at 34" just fine for Trap, but for Skeet and Sporting Clays, I am most comfortable at 30" on a two piper. I do keep my knees bent and my wight forward when I swing for Skeet and SC. My Trap stance is more erect. I am worried that 32" two piper would cause two much weight out front and throw my balance and swing off. I will try a 32" some more, but for now I am sticking with 30" two barrels. My opinion is that it is balance/stance, and what feels most comfortable for you. Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel length and height

tall shooter skeet barrel length

wayne mayes height