1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel length for load data

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Trigger71, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Trigger71

Trigger71 Member

Good Morning again!
    I was just reading an article about chrono'ing and shot velocities and it dawned on me that I didn't see any info on what barrel length was used in the manuals for fps. Anyone know, and if so is there a standard between all manuals?

2. templetk!!!

templetk!!! TS Member

On 02/09/2017 Precision Reloading, Inc. tested 28 gauge reloads for me using a pressure testing barrel length of 26 in. with a bore of .546 in.

Ken

Trigger71 thanked this.
  3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I "seem" to remember reading somewhere,,, 28" cyl bore, NOT sure.

4. gregpete

gregpete Active Member

Distance from front of barrel to the first sensor is critical. If you are too close the shot blast will mess up the reading. Too far away and the shot group breaks up and some chronos can't catch it or you shoot the chrono. I have tried it with 28-34 inch barrels with full choke and found very little difference as long as barrel front is in same location. A cylinder choke gives a slightly larger target. I use an oehler 35p (wish they would upgrade the interface for pc/phone). It has 3 sensors to allow you to verify the chrono. 1st to third sensor should be slightly slower ( typically around 5fps on mine) and consistent.

Sunlight issue present more of a variance unless you are doing it in a light box