1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Length for Break Open Gun: 32" or 34"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...or 33"? Well I'm curious and also have some time to post this and stir things up slightly. Years ago, I read that a 34" barrel on a break open gun is "best" because the sight picture changes less compared to shorter barrels as one moves back in handicap, gets into a pot shoot, miss and out etc....but what about the length of the receiver? Is a longer barrel just a theoretical advantage/plus re. POI changes?

"Me thinks" that a shorter barrel than 34" might be a better ticket for singles 'cause of the overall ergonomics, both dynamic and visual.

Or...like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge in trucks, is it an individual preference thing?

This curious/nosey mind wishes to know! Thanks...

David

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Barrel Length for Break Open Gun: 32

Consider switching to a chatterbait.

-Gary

3. Custer

Custer Member

Neither! 30" is the way to go.
    Custer

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I see lots of shooters who shoot very well with 30" O/U barrels. Most at singles but some at caps as well.

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I shoot a 30" over and under because I seldom shoot too far in front of a target, but often shoot behind one. It is my theory that the shorter barrels should swing faster. Jack

6. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am 5'8" and stocky. I have both and find no difference in how they shoot,but I find that being vertically challenged, the 32" is much more comfortable resting on my toe pad between shots than the longer 34" barrel. Bill Hom

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Two factors that come to mind, first is how the gun balances for you. The second is enertia, more forward weight equals easier follow thru. Jack is right about swing but in theory the longer barrel should lessen the tendancy to shoot behind due to more effort required to stop the barrel.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.