1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel leading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been shooting a long time, but you wouldn't know it from these questions. I've ALWAYS had good advice on this forum so...

How do you tell if a barrel (.39/.357) is "leaded"? Obvious with a bore scope? Will shooting jacketed ammo remove/lessen the leading? How do you remove the lead? I've just started casting bullets and plan on a lot of shooting of them.

Thanks!

Bruce

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Push a tight, clean white patch through the bore. Notice if it seems to drag in spots and if it comes out with gray streaks or patches on it. You can also look from the rear through the forcing cone to the beginning of the rifling and see lead streaks. If it is not "painted" from one end to the other, a few jacketed bullets will take it out. Don't shoot full load jacketed bullets and don't use squibs either. Just moderate loads.

If you are using cast bullets or planning to, some can be way too hard if they are not sized to the throat diameter. If they are much smaller than throat diameter they will not upset and will skid, get gas cut, and lead. For revolvers, medium hard (wheel weight metal) lead with a good lube (I don't like the red or blue or other "crayola" lubes) like the old NRA formula of beeswax and alox 2138F has always worked for me. I've bought bullets so hard (with the crayon lube) it takes a file to scratch them and had them lead in my 44 Mag but used my own WW metal bullets with the NRA formula at the same loading pressure and gotten virtually no leading.

Don't size to the old standard of .002 to .003 over bore size, go for the chamber throat size if they are uniform. Otherwise I size to exact bore size. I have tried the Lee tumble lube bullets and had varying degrees of success with them. Normally I use standard Lyman moulds in the most popular numbers: 358156 GC for .357, .429421 and 429424GC in 44 mag, and RCBS 45-255KT in 45 Colt and sometimes even in the acp.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Running jacketed bullets through a barrel will remove some of the lead but there also are some chemical cleaners sold for that purpose. I'm not up to date on them because it's been a long time since I had to deal with that - I sold all my revolvers except a S&W 617 and all my semis except a tricked-out 1911 after I bought my first T/C Contender 25 or so years ago. I now only shoot Contenders and XP-100s; the accuracy and power of a handrifle will spoil you!

Ed

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Be careful shooting FMJ's in a leaded barrel, even moderate loads can cause a drastic rise in pressures. Clean your barrel first. Do a google search for lead removal.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will know you have a leading problem by simple inspection. There will be an obvious build up of metal in the grooves of the rifling. The more effective lead removing tools use a brass mesh 'patch' on a expandable jag to mechanically remove the build up, Midway has these. A good solvent helps.

You can reduce or eliminate the problem with a gas check. Hard alloys will help, find an old Lyman casting manual for alloy recipies. The quality or 'smoothness' of your barrel also will also have a big effect of leading.

Last resort is to fire a cylinder of jacketed bullets after ever 50 or so lead rounds. My old favorite .357 load was the 358156 Lyman with a gas check and a full charge of 2400. Velocity was supposedly 1,300 Fps and leading wasn't a problem in my M27 S&W. Took a lot of trial and error to get to that point but it was all fun.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

For a badly leaded barrel, the ol' Lewis Lead Remover works good.

John C. Saubak

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Lewis lead remover is about the best thing you can find. Try police supply businesses in your area if you can't find any in any sporting goods stores near you. I am certain I have seen them offered at Brownells and Midway.

You might want to check and see if a cleaning cloth called "Wipe Away" is still offered. I used to buy these by the dozens and pass them out to students. It is a treated chamos looking cloth that was marketed by Belltown LTD., Route 37 Sherman CT 06784. This thing is (or maybe was)amazing. You could wipe lead buildup off a cylinder face, cylinder bores and barrels. You have to use care however on blued and case hardened surfaces, can it can wipe the finish off your gun. The first time I used one on a cylinder face, I stopped using my stainless brush on the cylinder all together. No more scratches!!!!!

9. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Capvan, get one of those copper pot scrubbers (Chore Boy) is the brand they sell around my area. Cut some strips from it you can cut it with sissors then wrap the strips around a used brass bristle brush so it fits pretty tightly in the bore. run it in and out with a cleaning rod. Use it dry!!! You will be suprised at how it takes the lead and cleans the bore. Then follow up with some patches and solvent or whatever you choose. I saw this on a Bill Wilson video and have been using it ever since.Hope this helps George

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

Brass/bronze wool(like steel wool, only yellow) works well also. It is available at some hardware stores. Same deal as the scrub pad, make it snug in the bore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lyman 429424 bullet

wipe away belltown distributors