1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Kaboom - 9mm - Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unsingle, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I recently installed a new aftermarket muzzle treaded barrel on one of my Gluck pistols. The barrel was made from 416 stainless steel. After about 40 rounds, the barrel split about two inches from the muzzle down the barrel towards the chamber. The split started at about where the treads started on the end of the barrel. I contacted the manufacturer, and of course they wanted to see the barrel. I was shooting from the standing position two handed, using new WW 9mm ammunition. When the barrel split, I saw a flash at the muzzle and noticed that my muzzle tread protector was missing. I suspect that the split came from either a loose tread protector, or a faulty barrel. None of the 40 rounds sounded unusual. The first five shots thru the barrel went into the same hole, and then the group opened up. I could not get the gun sighted in after the first five shots. Now my question. I had to cut the barrel in half to get it off of the gun. I thought wow, this will be a job, but the hacksaw went thru the barrel like hot butter. It felt like I was sawing thru aluminum. I have never hacksawed a barrel before, but shouldn’t it be harder to cut? I wonder if it was ever heat treated?

2. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

who's barrel?
    what was on the threaded end?

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya gotta be careful with them Gluck pistols. some have been known to have soft barrels.

GneJ

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

MOST LIKELY 416 STAINLESS..... which is very...very, easy to machine.

Who's cheap ammo were you shooting at the time of barrel failure??????

There is some ammo meant only for use in submachine guns not pistols. you can run into that a lot, by using 3rd world surplus mil 9mm. Foreign 5.56 has caused some problems in AR clones, and there are warning letters posted trying to warn the masses.

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

He states he was using new WW ammo

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You were shooting from a standing position and put the first 5 shots thru the same hole? From what distance? Out of a Glock? With cheap factory ammo? I'd have to see that to believe it.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There is nothing wrong with 416 stainless barrels, it's the standard in stainless steel barrels, and comparable to 4140 when using it at the same hardness levels. I would guess a defect in material, or it was never heat treated after it's annealed free machining state. The only way to prove that would be to take it to a machine shop that has a rockwell hardness tester. It should read 34-39 Rc.

8. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I was sighting in the pistol for the first time. I was shooting new WW 115 grain roundnose. The barrel had the thread protector screwed on the end of the barrel when the mishap occured. I always start a new handgun sightin at about five yards. Grntitan, trust me, I could shoot apples off the top of your head all day long at five yards, even with a Glock. 221, the barrel was made from 416 stainless. Do you think it should of been that soft?

9. TOOLMAKER 251

Unsingle, re-read my last paragraph above.

10. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Thanks Toolmaker, you must of posted your thread when I was writing my second one. That is exactly what I needed to know.

11. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Unsingle,
    Where did you obtain the info that the afftermarket barrel was made of "416 Stainless"? AISI 416 Stainless or European "416 Stainless steel" or Chinese "416 Stainless"?? or a German "416" They are all slightly different in alloy composition and CARBON CONTENT! Due to the invasion into the US of foreign supplied steels and the great differences in cost and QUALITY, all kinds of problems have surfaced.

Send that barrel back to the maker for his examination and see what his explanation is.

From your description of the failure, I believe you have a defective barrel.
    Respectfully Submitted...Ex-Jet Boat Bill

12. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

BL350 - I got the information about the steel from the manufacturer. The first thing they said was that would like to look at the barrel to be sure it was the correct hardness. I will wait and see what they have to say. I hope they just send me a new one, but I have lost some confidence in the product.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

Unsingle, can you take a picture of the split part of the barrel and post it here?

14. Norsky

Norsky Member

GRNTITAN,
    You called the OP a liar unless you saw the target. That is not what people with any decency do. If you don't think those shots are possible, keep your opinion to yourself.
    Regards,
    Ray

15. grntitan

Ray,

No i didn't call him a liar. I said "You were shooting from a standing position and put the first 5 shots thru the same hole? From what distance? Out of a Glock? With cheap factory ammo? I'd have to see that to believe it."

He answered, "Grntitan, trust me, I could shoot apples off the top of your head all day long at five yards, even with a Glock. 221, the barrel was made from 416 stainless. Do you think it should of been that soft?"

To which i left it alone as he answered my question and didn't get all out of sorts as you did.

If i have no decency in your eyes, i will lose no sleep over it. This is a public forum and i am as much entitled to my disbelief opinion as you are of me having no decency. Perhaps if you don't understand that, you should keep your opinion to yourself. Think??

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

so you're going to let him shoot an apple off of your head?

17. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I have some good pictures if I can get them to load. Here we go:

[​IMG]

The only damage was at the muzzle of the barrel. No signs of pressure anywhere else on the gun or brass. Looking inside of the barrel, it looks like the rupture started where the barrel has been reduced for the threads.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just thought I would say that i'm darn glad it was not more catastrophic when it let go and that you didn't get injured Unsingle....i had an extended choke from a quality maker well known to us all who i wont name split the same way in an Inv.-Plus barrel..luckily though hard to get out it didn't harm the barrel and the company made good with a new choke tube

19. grntitan

Did you find the thread protector and what did it look like? I'm guessing you won't name the barrel manufacture until they give you answer on if they will make it right?

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Before you send the barrel in, have it hardness tested. Once the barrel is in the hands of the manufacturer, it's quite likely they will not give it back to you. You might want to get it independently looked at by a competent gunsmith as well. Also contact the ammo manufacturer and send the ammo to them along with a photo of the barrel. What I'm getting at is to cover all your bases, because the barrel maker may try to blame the ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.